Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,141  
Maybe. maybe not. All depends on the vocational use and to attain the limited range, Navistar recommend leaving the motor in regenerative braking all the time.

So you own a Leaf. That is limited range as well. One of my friends works at Nissan in Rochester Hills, Michigan and drives the larger EV back and forth to work but, Nissan covers his recharges every day.

The only way I'd ever consider one would be a hybrid like a Prius.
I am fine with burning gas to get from point A to B but it burns my butt to idle for an hour when standing by in cold weather and especially when using AC.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,142  
Never met a monopoly you didn't like?
You didn't even think after reading my post. Gouging is intended as a bad word to demonize spikes in prices. $10-$20/gallon hurricane gasoline is motivation to provide a needed service, is motivation for others to move in on the action, and only then does the market have competition to bring the prices down.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,143  
Don't have a clue Mossy. All I know is UPS tried electric delivery trucks (Freightliner chassis) some years back when I worked at the Freightliner dealership and I remember when they came in for something mechanical, they were sequestered to the back of the shop and roped off. never fiddled with them at all and then UPS decided they didn't work so they got rid of them. UPS also tried Hydrogen powered delivery trucks and that didn't pan out either because of the complexities in refueling them. The Toledo UPS hub is pretty aggressive with trying various technologies.
By golly that proves it! Commercial EVs will never work because a Freightliner dealer in Ohio wouldn't bother to repair UPS EV trucks!

If I was UPS I would be looking for something other than Freightliner in that market.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,144  
Back in the 80's Cupertino USPS had a fleet of electric neighborhood delivery trucks...

Cupertino is home to Apple Computer.
1979 UPS had an EV classic Leland Brown UPS truck running a route in Huntsville, AL. Predated electronic speed controls and inverters. This truck went "click click click" as contactors switched in and out to regulate speed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,145  
You didn't even think after reading my post. Gouging is intended as a bad word to demonize spikes in prices. $10-$20/gallon hurricane gasoline is motivation to provide a needed service, is motivation for others to move in on the action, and only then does the market have competition to bring the prices down.
Yes... price spikes in times of shortage stimulate supply as in drill baby drill when wells capped were put back into service or when a staple in short supply would have people loading up and driving a 1,000 miles to cash in and what inevitably happens is prices collapse from over supply.... at least in a free market.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,146  
Hospital had been paying 16 cents and now 24 cents which is entirely different and cheaper than residential pushing 40 cents at peak.
Gotta pay for California government's excesses, regulations, and unfunded mandates somehow.

My July rate was $0.125/kWh. Is expected to go up 2¢ in August for a "fuel adjustment surcharge". But supposed to decrease after that. At least around here the utility can cut underbrush without being told by the state environmentalists they can not. Heck, they cut trees in people's lawns without permission if they think branches are getting too close to power lines.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,147  
According to Navistar, recharge on the medium duty trucks was 90 minutes on their proprietary 440 volt 3 phase charge that delivers over 220 amps and the trucks have on board electronic battery conditioning too. 90 minutes might work in a large fleet application but for an individual or small service fleet, that won't work. The other issue that bubbles up is safety. 440/3 can kill you or cook you in a second. Cannot imagine hooking one up in the rain... Why High pressure hydrogen don't work. You have to be certified to fuel one unlike diesel where you pull up to the pump, stick the nozzle in the tank and fill it. Even propane is questionable. One of my hunting buds owns the local propane company and runs his private truck on propane and 2 years ago we went to Nebraska for a hunt and took his truck and he had to fill the bed mounted bottle a couple times and that is a complex procedure in itself and the pressures are about 1/10th of Hydrogen.
In the past many vehicles were run on propane. Pretty simple procedure to fill up. Nothing complicated about it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,148  
The new incentive bill to be passed this weekend will make 70% of 72 U.S. electric, plug-in hybrid and fuel-cell EVs ineligible upon passage.

Also none would qualify for the full credit when additional sourcing requirements go into effect.

The bill includes rising requirements for the percentage of battery components originating from North America based on value. After 2023, it would disallow batteries with any Chinese components.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,149  
The new incentive bill to be passed this weekend will make 70% of 72 U.S. electric, plug-in hybrid and fuel-cell EVs ineligible upon passage.

Also none would qualify for the full credit when additional sourcing requirements go into effect.

The bill includes rising requirements for the percentage of battery components originating from North America based on value. After 2023, it would disallow batteries with any Chinese components.

That is good news since there is no one buying EVs today because of rebates.