How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #531  
Wasn't aware they built harvesting machines like that.
It is hard to believe they can make a living with machines like that as compared to the 45' heads on a regular combine.

/ How agriculture works thread #532  
It is hard to believe they can make a living with machines like that as compared to the 45' heads on a regular combine.
Not really, their economy and cost of living is much, much less than here. Besides, would be impossible to swing a 45 or larger head in a rice paddy and most likely, the machine would get stuck in the mud anyway.

/ How agriculture works thread #533  
Not really, their economy and cost of living is much, much less than here. Besides, would be impossible to swing a 45 or larger head in a rice paddy and most likely, the machine would get stuck in the mud anyway.
Not really - big combines with 45' header is how they do it in the US. The paddies have long been drained.

/ How agriculture works thread
Another Kubota rice combine harvesting in Cambodia and you can see the water in this field. How dry could that rice be? Seems that head might be 8ft wide.

Last edited:
The war in the Ukrainian made me wonder what countrys in the world grow wheat and how much. This list does not tell me the type of wheat grown.
----------------------------------------------

Worldwide Wheat Production​

Wheat is the second-most-produced cereal grain behind maize, and the global trade of wheat is greater than all other crops combined. In 2020, the total global production of wheat was 760 million tons. China, India, and Russia are the three largest individual wheat producers in the world, accounting for about 41% of the world’s total wheat production. The United States is the fourth-largest individual wheat producer in the world. However, the European Union, if it were counted as a single country, its wheat production would exceed that of any country except China.

Top 10 Wheat Producing Countries (in tons of wheat produced 2020)*​

1. China — 134,254,710
  2. India — 107,590,000
  3. Russia — 85,896,326
  4. United States — 49,690,680
  5. Canada — 35,183,000
  6. France — 30,144,110
  7. Pakistan — 25,247,511
  8. Ukraine — 24,912,350
  9. Germany — 22,172,100
  10. Turkey — 20,500,000

/ How agriculture works thread #536  
The war in the Ukrainian made me wonder what countrys in the world grow wheat and how much. This list does not tell me the type of wheat grown.
----------------------------------------------

Worldwide Wheat Production​

Wheat is the second-most-produced cereal grain behind maize, and the global trade of wheat is greater than all other crops combined. In 2020, the total global production of wheat was 760 million tons. China, India, and Russia are the three largest individual wheat producers in the world, accounting for about 41% of the world’s total wheat production. The United States is the fourth-largest individual wheat producer in the world. However, the European Union, if it were counted as a single country, its wheat production would exceed that of any country except China.

Top 10 Wheat Producing Countries (in tons of wheat produced 2020)*​

1. China — 134,254,710
  2. India — 107,590,000
  3. Russia — 85,896,326
  4. United States — 49,690,680
  5. Canada — 35,183,000
  6. France — 30,144,110
  7. Pakistan — 25,247,511
  8. Ukraine — 24,912,350
  9. Germany — 22,172,100
  10. Turkey — 20,500,000
Interesting chart. US wheat production peaked back in 1981 and has been on a downward trend every year since then to where now we are producing about 2/3 of what we produced in 1981. During that same period US corn and soybean production doubled. A very major change in products and demand.

/ How agriculture works thread #537  
I've traveled from Missouri, thru Kansas, to Colorado almost every year on vacation since the early '80s. A LOT more corn, soybeans and grain sorghum raised in Kansas than 40 years ago.

/ How agriculture works thread #538  
Corn production increased mainly because of ethanol. A Captive market is a good market even if e-gas sucks.

/ How agriculture works thread #539  
Corn production increased mainly because of ethanol. A Captive market is a good market even if e-gas sucks.
I was wondering if that was a driving force. As a side note I've noticed a lot more unplanted fields around here this year.

And most wheat fields have been harvested and the straw (?) baled, mostly in large rectangular bales. I guess headed to be mushroom dirt.

I was wondering if that was a driving force. As a side note I've noticed a lot more unplanted fields around here this year.

And most wheat fields have been harvested and the straw (?) baled, mostly in large rectangular bales. I guess headed to be mushroom dirt.
Most likely the price. I have no idea what people do with wheat straw.