Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hey everyone,

So I just picked up a used Lincoln AC225 GLM, which is like a regular AC225 except made by lincoln electrics Mexico division. Im in Costa Rica. I think the only difference, besides being shaped a little differently from a US made tombstone, is that it has an option to set it to work on 110v current. Convenient feature but I have it on 220v and will keep it that way and just have it be my stationary workshop machine. Got little inverters to take to jobs.

Is in pretty new looking shape but belonged to an old guy that passed away about 5 years ago his family said. So who knows how long it had been in storage until now, i mean what if he didnt weld that much close to the end?

What is the nature of the on/off switch on these things? Its spring loaded, kinda like a breaker. Is it a thermal overload switch or something? Anyways, its stuck in the on position now, I can push it down all the way to the stop and it wont overpower the spring that keeps it on. It was working when I got it but the spring got weaker and weaker and now it wont turn off. I have to unplug it to switch amperage or turn it off for the day.

Havent pulled it open yet, combination of being too busy/too lazy. But can I replace a spring on the switch? Replace the switch? Just put a knife switch on the dedicated plug in my workshop and not worry too much about it? Otherwise it works fine and Im totally happy with my new toy but its a pain in the butt to have to unplug it every time to change amperage.

Thanks!

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #2  
I'd check on local availability of switch then take the housing apart,flush switch with electrical cleaner. If it begin's switching positions,spray with anti-corosion or WD40 before reassembly. One thing you don't want to do is use panel breaker as switch because it can cause braker to weaken and fail.

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #3  
Some brand of panels have switch rated breakers.

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #4  

this look the same..?

2089A4DE-0EB6-404E-BB37-2AEE92ABDA3D.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #5  
I've used mine probably 35 years. Longer really. Weld a lot at times. I have never turned it off to switch amps. Just don't switch while welding. I rebuild a lot of tractor buckets, built trailers, welded up a nearly demolished bush hog lately. That 7018 AC rod was a game changer. Mine does have DC, but it looks like yours. I love 6011 AC and I always use AC unless someone brings me a space shuttle to weld on. Which hasn't happened yet. So it's AC all the way.

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #6  
First thing I would do is open up unit and get any numbers or manufacturers data off switch.... If it needs replacing it may be readily available on (i-net) market...

As for changing amperage switch there is no need to power down welder as there is no load on switch if you are not drawing arc during change...

As for just turning it off and on, how about using breaker in main panel for receptical that powers welder...

Last edited:
   / Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #7  
I got a 70's version tombstone welder of my father's. The on/off switch was sticky and amp selector wasn't working correctly. Popped the cover off, removed the on/off switch and thoroughly cleaned with electronics cleaner spray until it worked smoothly, then applied an electronics rated switch lubricant.

The rotary amp selector actually was a bigger problem as the nylon had swelled enough so that the metal contact wasn't able to slide on the nylon shaft. I disassembled it and carefully sanded the shaft until the metal contact could would slide easily.

Those tombstones are darn near bullet proof, nothing fancy, but i put a lot of hours on it.

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #8  
Why in the world would you choose to weld on AC if DC is an option unless you are welding aluminum? I have the Century equivalent of a tombstone that's AC/DC and once I went to DC it hasn't been switched back in 15 years... I don't care if it's 7018 or 6011, DC is nice... I'll admit I don't use stick much anymore but did not too long ago and still no complaints...

I'm betting it's just sticky contacts as noted above, corrosion on pivot points can be tough, I'm betting they're just spring loaded contacts to be more solid and quick not full on breaker level...

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch
I gotta agree with those that said AC out of a nice transformer works smoother than DC out of a cheap inverter. I dunno why, it doesnt make any sense i know. But I definitely perceive it as such while im welding.

Thats why i was delighted to get one of these heavy as balls old school tombstones for my workshop that im (finally) building to keep all my toys in. This one is just going to be stationary, hard wired in like the kitchen oven and used for workbench welding. Ill take the cheap inverters to jobs off the farm.

Ill make a half assed attempt at getting a new switch or fixing the current one. If not Ill just put a electric chair style knife switch on the wall plug that itll plug into. Costs like $5 at the local hardware store. Almost has a certain style about it....

/ Question about lincoln tombstone on/off switch #10  
The newer tombstone switches and fans give issues. I've seen several fail.