Shoveling out a dump trailer - really!

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
It's not a very good picture because of the sun angle, but if you'll look closely, you can see that the front half of the mulch isn't coming out. The back half came out fine, just like it's supposed to. I ended up having to use a pitch fork to break it up before I could get it out. This is the first time this has happened to me. The previous day I was hauling rock and still had a light coating of rock dust in the trailer so I didn't think I'd need to do anything to keep it from sticking. It does stick from time to time in the corners - maybe 3 cuft worth and never the 3 yards worth this time. So, what do you do to keep stuff from sticking in the dump bed?

IMG_4941.jpg
IMG_4941.jpg

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #2  
I’ve seen full sized dump trucks with a vibrator attached to the bottom of tge bed.

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #3  
If i had that issue more than once, I’d tie a board on a rope, lay the board crossways up front, run the rope to the back, tie it off to that bar, then fill the trailer. When it doesn’t come out, yank the rope.

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #4  
GIve it some gas, then backup, the gas. It will hopefully come right out!

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #5  
Wonder how much it would cost to bolt an electric vibrator on the bottom of the bed.

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #6  
Bang on the underside of the trailer bed with a shovel handle or similar.

If that fails then, yeah, the back up and hit the brakes hard trick usually works.

Or a combo of both methods.

I thought this one was going to be about over filling the dump bed and the trailer hydraulics wouldn't lift it.

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really!
Banging on the bottom didn't work. 1st it's to high up to reach and where I could reach, it didn't make any difference.
2nd, with all the weight up in the air, I don't feel comfortable with the go fast and stop suddenly approach. (That's not level ground in the picture) Hadn't thought about a vibrator, I'll have to check on that. This is the first time this has happened so that board idea will be implemented and I've thought about spraying some cooking oil before loading.

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #8  
Sometimes nothing short of a vibrator is going to work. But that material looks pretty dry and backing up hard and stopping would probably work.

/ Shoveling out a dump trailer - really! #10  
Banging on the bottom didn't work. 1st it's to high up to reach and where I could reach, it didn't make any difference.
2nd, with all the weight up in the air, I don't feel comfortable with the go fast and stop suddenly approach. (That's not level ground in the picture) Hadn't thought about a vibrator, I'll have to check on that. This is the first time this has happened so that board idea will be implemented and I've thought about spraying some cooking oil before loading.

We back up hard and slam the brakes. There ain't no flat ground in these parts nowheres. I have never shoveled a load out or beat on one either. Plan your dump to be backing down hill too. Gives you more steep angle. Make sure reservoir is full to get proper hoist up position.