Hay Farmers getting out of farming

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #421  
I got $200/ton or more all day + loading & delivery on large bales this summer. That will increase this year.
Cow or horse hay quality? Just curious what it’s selling for in your area. Three years ago I was buying cow hay for steers for about $165/ton. I’m going to get more steers later this spring so I will buy hay again.

Last edited:
   / Hay Farmers getting out of farming
Cow or horse hay quality? Just curious what it’s selling for in your area. Three years ago I was buying cow hay for steers for about $165/ton. I’m going to get more steers later this spring so I will buy hay again.

Could be either. Have multiple customers with cows & horses. They feed my bales to both. I would call it average quality hay. Moisture below 17%. Might have been cut when slightly over mature or have minimal weeds that keeps it from being $250/ton.
I find those customers have the healthiest herds that eat the feeder clean And are least picky.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #423  
Stocker calves would need to bring a lot more $$$$ per # than they do where I live to be able to make a profit feeding $165 per ton hay

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #424  
Stocker calves would need to bring a lot more $$$$ per # than they do where I live to be able to make a profit feeding $165 per ton hay
Think it really depends on a couple of things. First, is the hay only for short winters (depend on location) and do you/they have ample pasture for the rest of the year. Second, are the stockers for barn sales, personal use or outside sales. During Covid, I saw some really, really crappy cows being sold for up to $3-4/lb on the hoof - love them big city folk! Myself, I wouldn't have turned most of those crappy cows into grinders, let alone other cuts.

I've sold a few of mine, completely grass fed steers or non-bearing heifers (unless the buyer wants them fattened up) for $1.65-1.90/lb on the rail. The buyer is responsible for processing fee, which around here (@ a NON-USDA butcher) runs ~ $0.45-0.60/lb on the rail. Most of mine are longhorn/angus mixes.

Could I have gotten more? Sure, but these went to neighbors or folk I knew.

Last edited:
   / Hay Farmers getting out of farming #425  
All the hay for the cows originated on gently sloping hills...

All the hay for the horses was from a meadow and when l asked my grandfather he said the sour meadow grass is better for horses.

Of course with dairy it is all about volume and butterfat...

Most of my time on the farm was at age 4 and 9 and never wanted to leave!

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #426  
I've sold a few of mine, completely grass fed steers or non-bearing heifers (unless the buyer wants them fattened up) for $1.65-1.90/lb on the rail. The buyer is responsible for processing fee, which around here (@ a NON-USDA butcher) runs ~ $0.45-0.60/lb on the rail. Most of mine are longhorn/angus mixes.

Could I have gotten more? Sure, but these went to neighbors or folk I knew.
Always interesting to see the difference in prices, around here we get $3.50 a pound hanging weight, plus the butcher fees which work out to about $1 per pound between the kill fee and their per pound charge.

Aaron Z

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #427  
Always interesting to see the difference in prices, around here we get $3.50 a pound hanging weight, plus the butcher fees which work out to about $1 per pound between the kill fee and their per pound charge.

Aaron Z
That's about what we pay our friends that raise a couple every year. We used to split a side with my in-laws. Now we split a quarter. But not because of price. We just enjoy a lot of chicken and pork as well as beef. :)

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #428  
I don’t do it for income. I get a few steer calves every couple of years and feed them out with hay, then grain them for the last three months before going to the packers. We keep one for our freezer and have friends and neighbors wanting to buy the others. We sell them for enough that we recoup the feed bill for the steers, so our beef costs amount to the purchase of our calf plus the packer’s costs. And our beef tastes better than anything we can buy at the grocery store.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #429  
Could be either. Have multiple customers with cows & horses. They feed my bales to both. I would call it average quality hay. Moisture below 17%. Might have been cut when slightly over mature or have minimal weeds that keeps it from being $250/ton.
I find those customers have the healthiest herds that eat the feeder clean And are least picky.
Around here, everyone plans to grow horse quality hay, and if it gets rained on, it becomes cow hay. The exception being hay grown for dairy: they want quality alfalfa.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #430  
With the dry weather expected in the mid west (and fires) and if rain continues in the southeast, I hope I can get enough hay this year. I am almost out. And I can't think about what fuel prices will be.