Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #51  
Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill. Used in the 70’s to get your date in the mood.
Easy nights (apple), but, boones has a place in my heart.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #52  
   / Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #53  
Farmers are some of the hardest workers I’ve ever met, as well as some of the most skilled repairmen, I look at farmers as some of the most skilled people I’ve ever met, and I come from an aviation, avionics background! I wouldn’t last a month running a farm

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #54  
And perhaps $70,000 in plants, fungicide, fertilizer, and labor before picking a berry...
Plus ... a tractor, bottling plant, winery (huge capital here), bottles, label art, gov't licenses, Marketing. (What are you going to do with 12,500 bottles of wine? (assuming it even tastes good which is not a sure thing) and WEATHER, Pests, Fungus ... The risks are huge and stacked against you. Who wants to drop a Million $$ plus into the ground.

Bloomberg said farming is easy... "just dig a hole and put the seed in" ... The more you know, the harder farming is.

Last edited:
   / Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #55  
Farmers are some of the hardest workers I’ve ever met, as well as some of the most skilled repairmen, I look at farmers as some of the most skilled people I’ve ever met, and I come from an aviation, avionics background! I wouldn’t last a month running a farm
Last Fall I rode a few laps with my large farmer friend in the combine cab. During that time he ran the combine, visited with me answering questions, talked to his grain broker on the phone contracting grain into 2023 and unloaded the combine into a grain cart on the move. All at the same time. Without missing a beat. Beyond the physical stamina, farmers have an extra talent of mental multi tasking.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #56  
And perhaps $70,000 in plants, fungicide, fertilizer, and labor before picking a berry...

$3300 in plants (ordered 18,000)
$2000 ~ in fertilizer and fungicide
Labor, at times we sure are laboring. Working together as a family.

And yes, they get paid well.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #57  

Avionics Tech 3rd class here

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #58  
Plus ... a tractor, bottling plant, winery (huge capital here), bottles, label art, gov't licenses, Marketing. (What are you going to do with 12,500 bottles of wine? (assuming it even tastes good which is not a sure thing) and WEATHER, Pests, Fungus ... The risks are huge and stacked against you. Who wants to drop a Million $$ plus into the ground.

Bloomberg said farming is easy... "just dig a hole and put the seed in" ... The more you know, the harder farming is.

That food product or whatever someone can produce will inflate right with this fake economy, think about what is happening to the cash in bank right now, $1million is quickly becoming the old $100k.

Am I the only one who knows successful farmers? Lucky me.

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #59  
Am I the only one who knows successful farmers? Lucky me.
I know several right around me.

One family that owns 15,000 +- acres of row crop land, another 8,000 acres of non tillable land and plant 17,000 - 20,000 acres of corn/soy beans each year. The Patriarch is 68 years old. His two Sons are 42 and 38. They employee 15-20 men year around. Very successful. They surround my farm. Excellent neighbors.

A small piece of their operation.

MAX_0056.JPG

/ Don’t Buy A Farm Unless You Understand A few Things #60  
Farmers are some of the hardest workers I’ve ever met, a
Biggest consumers of alcohol too. Least around here they are. Most all the successful farmers I know are usually crocked by 5pm. Why they all run JD auto steer units. You can be half in the bag and still come out smelling like a rose.