Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed....

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #21  
I get a lot more excited about hydraulic filters and low micron spec fuel filters than I do about old school fuel filters and most engine oil filters.

I've cured literally dozens of hydraulic system complaints by throwing a Wix or NAPA filter in the trash.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #22  
Thanks Rick. That's exactly my point. I'm not against saving money, but there just isn't any reasonable way to compare filters. The manufacturer has an investment in the game and all the others do not.
Who's to say that the manufacturer doesn't go with the lowest bidder on consumable items like filters? You generally don't know who makes it. An aftermarket brand has a name to protect as well, not good for business if they make a shoddy product.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #23  
Who's to say that the manufacturer doesn't go with the lowest bidder on consumable items like filters? You generally don't know who makes it. An aftermarket brand has a name to protect as well, not good for business if they make a shoddy product.
The OEM specs the filter to protect their equipment through its warranty period. Filters aren't their end game, a repeat equipment customer is. The aftermarket specs their filters to not self destruct before the next change interval and they are selling a commodity at a price point.
This is somewhat simplified, but not by very much.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #24  
The OEM specs the filter to protect their equipment through its warranty period. Filters aren't their end game, a repeat equipment customer is. The aftermarket specs their filters to not self destruct before the next change interval and they are selling a commodity at a price point.
This is somewhat simplified, but not by very much.
So is it just filters? Or do you purchase all the fluids that you change from the dealer, in other words all OEM fluids, oil, trans hydraulic, anti freeze, etc.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #25  
I get a lot more excited about hydraulic filters and low micron spec fuel filters than I do about old school fuel filters and most engine oil filters.

I've cured literally dozens of hydraulic system complaints by throwing a Wix or NAPA filter in the trash.
Exactly, engine oil filters typically have a wider exceptable range then hydraulic and modern diesel fuel filters. I started cutting filters open a number of years ago for inspection and to see the build quality. For my tractors, both HST, I use OEM for the hyd and trans, even the engine oil since it's the same price as a quality aftermarket.

The problem I've come across with a lot of aftermarket is they are build for multiple applications and while they might be in the "range" for the OEM, they could be slightly below or slightly above, but without a lot of research it's hard to know a lot of times.

If I find an aftermarket option that is a known superior or even equal to OEM I have no problem using it as long as the price is lower. One example is the fuel filter for my Cummins in my 07 Dodge, I use a Baldwin as it is proven to have a better micron rating then a lot of aftermarket and is even slightly better then the OEM but cost less and has been easier to get then the Fleetgaurds. For oil filter it has a Baldwin on it now but I'll run any quality filter on it.

I have been using less Wix over the past few years, had a few issues with bad filters out of the box (low oil pressure). Part of the reason I started cutting filters open.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #26  
So is it just filters? Or do you purchase all the fluids that you change from the dealer, in other words all OEM fluids, oil, trans hydraulic, anti freeze, etc.
That depends on the particular fluid and application. Some, but not all the fluids I use are OEM. Some OEM fluid recommendations are for fluids available from sources other than the OEM dealer. Some applications I use a generic fluid.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #27  
I buy everything OEM. It's honestly not worth the difference in price for me. One stop shop as well. I found out years ago that JD lawn mower blades and belts outlast any aftewrmarket out there. I would imagine if you haul your tractor to the dealer with a warranty engine issue one of the first questions to answer is if it has OEM filters.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #28  
Always on filters. There may be others just as good but there is no way you and I can know that.

But it depends on the tractor and the technology. For our John Deere 310SG I used to use Rotella CD 15w-40 in the engne and JD J20 type Hy-Gard for trans/hydraulic fluid.

But recently JD made some changes to their OEM JD 5w-30 engine oil and OK'd it for trans/hydraulic use.
So I went back to OEM. 20 gallons & all the same oil.

For the coolant I go OEM to get known compatibility with the JD seal & gasket system. JD is known for continually tinkering with their seal and gasket technology, so for anyone with a newer JD it is a no brainer to stick with OEM coolant.

For our old JD 530, I use whatever oil I have of any weight and try to change it every decade.
rScotty

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #29  
Exactly, engine oil filters typically have a wider exceptable range then hydraulic and modern diesel fuel filters. I started cutting filters open a number of years ago for inspection and to see the build quality. For my tractors, both HST, I use OEM for the hyd and trans, even the engine oil since it's the same price as a quality aftermarket.
I don't have any choice but to go with an OEM hydraulic filter for my LK3054...I've never found any cross reference for it. I can't imagine there's anything unique about it, and I'm sure someone makes an equivalent but documentation on the older Kiotis is sparse. Don't remember what I did with the JD I had before it.

I've always believed that if you avoid the cheap-o filters, and change fluids regularly you should be fine.

/ Napa Gold 1334 oil filters have changed.... #30  
I don't have any choice but to go with an OEM hydraulic filter for my LK3054...I've never found any cross reference for it. I can't imagine there's anything unique about it, and I'm sure someone makes an equivalent but documentation on the older Kiotis is sparse. Don't remember what I did with the JD I had before it.

I've always believed that if you avoid the cheap-o filters, and change fluids regularly you should be fine.
1638468509286.png