Starlink

/ Starlink #1,601  
Spent some time looking into a mesh system, so far all that I have seen require a WAN connection. My Verizon LTE box doesn't have an Ethernet port so I can't connect to the WAN port on the mesh system. Unless I am missing something.
As noted, a wifi repeater with an ethernet jack could work for that. Defeats some of the benefits of a mesh system to have to use that, but if that's the only way at least it would still spread out decent wifi signal throughout the house and still be a better connection than weak wifi from the LTE modem in distant parts of the house.

Or check into other LTE modems. For instance, on the LTE Internet plan I have with AT&T it came with a Mobley device but I swapped it for a Netgear Nighthawk M1, which is much faster (four radios instead of 1) and does have an ethernet port.

For instance, this one:

Verizon themselves may sell an upgraded modem with the features you need.

Does your Verizon LTE modem have a USB WAN output. The Mobley did, which is how I connected it to my router when I used that device.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,602  
Does your Verizon LTE modem have a USB WAN output. The Mobley did, which is how I connected it to my router when I used that device.

Rob
The only port on my V LTE modem is for its power.

I'm considering this unit,
Should kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. If it doesn't cover the whole house, it has a port I can use to connect to a mesh system. Although I might have a little trouble getting it to pass the WAF.

/ Starlink #1,603  
Likely for cost reasons and the fact that most devices out there are wifi capable these days so they go with the 'works for majority' situation.
I get that. I've noticed that very few laptops today have ethernet jacks on them, in the interest of making them very thin, sheesh many of them don't even have the large USB jacks on them anymore either just some mini-plug. I'm guessing on these that when the battery goes, it's not easily replaceable.
Maybe I'm just old school.

/ Starlink #1,604  
I get that. I've noticed that very few laptops today have ethernet jacks on them, in the interest of making them very thin, sheesh many of them don't even have the large USB jacks on them anymore either just some mini-plug. I'm guessing on these that when the battery goes, it's not easily replaceable.
Maybe I'm just old school.
That's because wifi has become that capable and reliable that an ethernet wired connection isn't really any better. Wifi is essentially ubiquitous and if it works well for most then the alternatives melt away, especially if they add cost or weight. The USB situation you mention is because USB-A (the normal port on a computer since forever ago) has been replaced by the new USB-C standard. That's the smaller version you've seen. There are adapters and hubs to allow older USB-A stuff to connect to USB-C.

It's the same reason we don't see many optical drives any longer and the floppy has been gone for forever. New stuff is better and takes over. With the advent of wifi mesh systems I don't see wired ethernet continuing to be around much longer at all for home use. 5-7 years ago if I were to build a home I'd have wired it up with ethernet and co-ax for network and video. Now I'd rely on wireless completely and save all that cost & complexity.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,607  
That's because wifi has become that capable and reliable that an ethernet wired connection isn't really any better.
Bud thats a huge stretch, for a normal user no, most won't see a difference, but to say there is no actual difference is utterly incorrect.

the fastest i have ever seen wireless do is about 700mbit, that is optimal condition, which almost no one ever gets.

if i moved 1 room over its barely 200mbit. 5GHZ doesn't even work more then 2 rooms away in my house, 2.4 still is the main transport in my house, and I am the only one for miles. 5ghz simply doesn't go through my walls. This was after doing a wifi audit of the house for finding best placement.

my house i rewired for ethernet, I routinely saturate 1gb with various tasks. it also isn't affected by walking 3 feet to the right.

95% of the wifi i deal with or use, can barely break 100mbit let alone 1g. wifi still kind of blows for VOIP as well.

/ Starlink #1,610  
Yes, WiFi has come a long ways, and is usually sufficient for homes and businesses that don't have high data demands.
Most wifi is capable of WAY more speed than anyone's actual ISP connection speed. Except the folks that are lucky enough to get Gb ISP connections.