FEL Mount Cracks

/ FEL Mount Cracks #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
I've got two cracks developing in one of my FEL mounts.

One crack is in the edge of a piece of 1/2" steel plate (it is an 8" wide 1/2" thick plate with a 2" crack perpindicular to the edge which moves inward to the center of the plate. The hairline crack is all the way through both sides of the plate).

The other crack is in the edge of a piece of 5/8" steel plate and is about 1" long on both sides of the plate.

I've got two options. One is I have my local welder weld it but he can't get to it for a couple of weeks. The other is I try to weld it myself to be ready for the coming snow in a couple days. But my welding skills are no where near as good as his.

If I do it... I'm thinking I would need to grind a V groove over the crack on both sides of the plate and stick weld it with 7018? High amps for penetration of metal this thick?

Thanks for any thoughts!

/ FEL Mount Cracks #2  
I would take it to the weld shop. I think you are right about needing a v groove. But don't know how deep. Wonder if the plate needs to be pulled away or spaced from the attaching mount - To get the needed penetration.

/ FEL Mount Cracks #3  
I've got two cracks developing in one of my FEL mounts.

One crack is in the edge of a piece of 1/2" steel plate (it is an 8" wide 1/2" thick plate with a 2" crack perpindicular to the edge which moves inward to the center of the plate. The hairline crack is all the way through both sides of the plate).

The other crack is in the edge of a piece of 5/8" steel plate and is about 1" long on both sides of the plate.

I've got two options. One is I have my local welder weld it but he can't get to it for a couple of weeks. The other is I try to weld it myself to be ready for the coming snow in a couple days. But my welding skills are no where near as good as his.

If I do it... I'm thinking I would need to grind a V groove over the crack on both sides of the plate and stick weld it with 7018? High amps for penetration of metal this thick?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Just weld it. If your weld is nasty just make sure to clean slang each pass. Put it somewhere you can flat weld it. Grind a groove on one side and weld a pass. Then grind groove to your weld on other side and weld that side. Build a little over flush and grind smooth. Project done.

/ FEL Mount Cracks
Thanks for the ideas! Here's a photo showing the mount and cracks. The mount is now off the tractor.

The crack in the 1/2" plate is pretty easily accessible on both sides for grinding and welding.

The crack in the 5/8" plate is hidden in the photo on the opposite side of the mount and is in a location that the grinder can't get to. I'm currently using hand files and Dremel to try and clean the paint from this area. Cutting a groove in this area will be difficult.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• FEL_mount_cracks.jpg
    FEL_mount_cracks.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 374
   / FEL Mount Cracks #5  
I'd be wondering what I did that was apparently beyond the design loads.

/ FEL Mount Cracks #6  
I had the same thing happen. A local mobile tractor service/repair guy was here to replace front axle seals and more, and discovered the cracks. He said it was due to stresses caused by loose bolts on the FEL mount - the force was being misplaced. He replaced the bolts but had to tap and rethread for those. The cracks were quite wide - much wider than yours - he used a piece to bridge the crack when he welded it. A nice reminder to check those bolts from time to time.

Doubtful it is of any help, but will post a photo of the weld.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 235
   / FEL Mount Cracks #7  
If you can weld half way decent I’d V it out, weld it, and then plate it. I’d rather have a less than professional repair vs doing without the tractor for weeks or using it as is.

/ FEL Mount Cracks #8  
I would not mess with the 7018 for the root passes unless you can get every thing clean and pretty.
I'd use 6011 and burn it in deep, then if desired you can clean up and cap it with some 7018.

/ FEL Mount Cracks #9  
I had similar and welded it several times with regular 70S6 hot.. I ended up pulling the mount off and V both sides and I welded it with Weldcote Super 120 stick (same as Super Missile Weld). Plated it with regular 70S6 and painstakingly reinstalled. Father in law was ramming stumps to break mine. Good luck.

/ FEL Mount Cracks #10  
I would not mess with the 7018 for the root passes unless you can get every thing clean and pretty.
I'd use 6011 and burn it in deep, then if desired you can clean up and cap it with some 7018.
Agree....6010/11 are great digging rods to get full depth.

These cracks are the whole reason factories throw weldments into the oven to stress relieve after welding.

Last edited: