Ida Incoming

/ Ida Incoming #71  
I can't imagine what that is like. Hang in there!

We got stuck at our place for a week because of flood, it was just a nuisance as we still had power though the cell towers ran out of power. The weather was cool, we had wood to heat with. Nothing like what happens in those hurricanes.

/ Ida Incoming #72  
Me and 2 of the Ida refugees.. I was told these kids were very loud, not sure where that came from!

Their momma is taking them daily to see their Great G’maw, she”s in heaven!

IMG_2319.JPG

/ Ida Incoming #77  
I am just North of Covington. Ida took out the power at 5:25 PM. I have most of my family here. We are fine until the propane runs out.

Norman
UPDATE
Wakey, my dad was NOPD also. He retired in the mid 60s then later worked for the Criminal Sheriff's Office. You and Talleyho have it right on the Danzinger shootings.

I was "lucky". My major damage was that the siding was ripped off the South side wall above the brick line. The bare plywood is exposed and I have contacts out trying to find someone to water tight it. We have rain predicted for Mon., Tues., and Wed. I have several trees down which I can handle. I did a temp repair on a shed door that was blown off. A major issue is that I have a whole house generator but the propane co. was impossible to reach. I could not use it as intended. I had to conserve the propane and only run the generator on a rotating basis for the refrigerator and freezers. We have three gas stations nearby that had long lines or no gas the first few days. That is getting better as the power comes back on and people no longer need generators. I had enough gas for my vehicles. I had most of my family here (17 people). They left Tuesday/Wednesday for Florida just before I climbed up my roof and did a swan dive (5 kids under 6 yo.). Some are coming back because their houses in N.O. and Jefferson Parish were damaged or the power or water are not back on yet. Some need internet to work which I have back now. I got my power, internet, and land line back Thursday evening (St. Tammany Parish). For those who don't know, Louisiana does not have counties, we call them parishes.

All in all, I feel blessed.

Norman

A side story - with the long gas lines, there have been "gasholes" who try to jump the line. At one station, a gashole jumped the line and the driver behind him confronted him. The gashole said "what are you going to do, shoot me?" The other driver did. I would like to be on that jury.

/ Ida Incoming #78  
A side story - with the long gas lines, there have been "gasholes" who try to jump the line. At one station, a gashole jumped the line and the driver behind him confronted him. The gashole said "what are you going to do, shoot me?" The other driver did. I would like to be on that jury.

During the gas lines of old somebody tried to jump lines, then started arguing with the attendant. The employee doused him with gas, pulled out a lighter and said "You'd better get out of here."

Thanks for checking in.

/ Ida Incoming #79  
I need internet with a printer to make shipping labels with postage to mail my orders for my online business. I do not know how to hook my phone to my printer or if that is even possible.

Yesterday I phoned a library in Gulfport MS to ask their hours today, Saturday. They told me 9-4. I drove all the way there as I couldn’t find anywhere closer with internet and printer. Got there and found out they and all libraries in Mississippi are closed for Labor Day weekend.

Having 80 orders that need to go out
I had to look for another place on my phone. Closest place I found was FedEx in Mobile Alabama, another 200 mile round trip added on. Drove there and found out they charged me $1.15 for each label I printed on plain paper.

I printed out 30 labels then PayPals web site screwed up and wouldn’t let me print the rest. Then the only thing I could do was to get 30 gallons of gas in my cans I brought for my generator and make the three hour drive home. What a wasted day. Tomorrow I will try to find a friend on the north shore who has electricity a computer, printer and internet so I can finish up.

At least I had a day of rest from cutting up fallen trees. I finished one oak tree and only have about 12 more to do then I can start on my fences and barn.

/ Ida Incoming #80  
Hang in there Tally!