Rpms for backhoe

/ Rpms for backhoe #21  
another coincidence

my buddy was running my bh, digging a hole to bury stumps. he loves to drive the tractor and he's very careful....plus i'm right there keeping an eye on things. yesterday, he was digging and i was burning the pile and he called me over.

he was at about 1500 rpm, simple digging in good clean soil, nothing out of the ordinary and POW.

he said he heard a loud pow and smelled smoke and saw fluid all over the place. i just walked away to look later. i did ask if he was trying to scoot something over with the bh bucket, nope, just digging.

one of the hydraulic lines looks to have failed. it's one of the short ones that control the right to left etc movement of the boom.

i will remove today to confirm but, i'm pretty sure its toast.

i never had to replace a hydraulic line. i can go to the local dealer but....is there a better source?

i will also call my local buddies but....any suggestions? i did see a hydraulic repair place in the neighborhood.

Is there such a thing as standard off the shelf hoses other than from the dealer?

it begins........
It happens. No harm or foul. Get spare fluid and then....

I'd say to take the hose off, put it into a plastic 5 gallon pail and take the whole hose WITH THE ENDS down to your local hydraulic shop. Most towns have a hydraulic shops and all rural Ag towns do....but often they don't advertise. Ask at the JD dealer. Get the hydraulic repair shop to make you a new hose on the spot (or overnight). Costs a fraction of dealer cost. He will need your old ends to match the threads.
Also, you might ask him to put a nylon sleeve on, or you can order a roll of 1" sleeving from Amazon (about $1.00/foot) and put it on with zip ties before remounting the hose. Hoses will last twice as long. The zipties are best if connecting the sleeve to the metal ends. Nylon sleeving always shrinks endwise in the sun, so keep it almost too long and too loose.
good luck,
rScotty

/ Rpms for backhoe #22  
If the failed hose is routed inside a boom or under the floorboards, tie a length of paracord (or similar) to one end before your remove it by pulling from the other end. Having a "fish" line helps the re-installation immensely. A clove hitch or rolling hitch with a couple of half hitches has worked for me as the knot. You may cut the spout from a small funnel and thread the paracord through that before tying the knot. The taper makes pulling easier.

Last edited:
   / Rpms for backhoe #23  
thx to all for the advice re failed hose.

my buddy feels bad because he happened to be in the seat when the hose failed. it would have happened to anyone but he offered to pay for the repair, and he ain't rich.

the old hose came right off, no problem. i took it to the local go to hydraulic repair shop, gave the guy my hose and in less than 20 minutes i was out the door, $35.

That's called.....The good old days.

the repair guy made an interesting comment. he said.....this ain't a kubota hose. we both decided that, because it was a BH hose and a dealer installed option, they might use different hoses? he did point out that their hose material is UV resistant and my dead hose was not. the hose is buried so it was not the sun that caused the failure.

i had to call the local dealer, nice folks. turns out they also build hoses, $50-$60 vs $35 but he did say, bring it in and they can fix me up pretty quickly.

thx again, back in service!

/ Rpms for backhoe #25  
On my L3540 2585 is pto speed, so I run mine at 1800-2200. Works great with reasonable speed.

/ Rpms for backhoe #26  
I've been operating my backhoe attachment A LOT for the past year-and-one-half. I run it at idle (1,000 rpm's) to 1400 RPM's. Smooth and easy. I'm aware of no damage to anything related to hydraulics of the engine. I also perceive no difference in hydraulic strength with varying engine speed - everything takes longer, which suits me fine.
Me too.....I am an old guy.....slow is my modus operandi.

/ Rpms for backhoe #27  
My manual said no less than 70% or 75% of rated full throttle. I’ve spent enough hours on it that I just operate the BH at WOT. the more time you spend on it the better you’ll get.

/ Rpms for backhoe #28  
As you get better at operating it you'll use two or three motions at the same time. That will make it less jerky and will also use more fluid so you may want more rpms.

The BH I got for my Branson (Branson branded, made by Ansung) was super jerky on the boom. I just could not feather the valve well enough to make it not jerk the tractor around. I put adjustable one way restrictors on the cylinder and found an adjustment that takes the jerkyness out but doesn't make it too slow. Since the adjusters are right there and operable from the operators station I can back them off when I have some recent practice and have improved my technique or tighten them when it's been a while since I have used it.

/ Rpms for backhoe #29  
I replaced three hoses so far this year on the backhoe. Two went bad from a combination of being on top of the arm in the sun and the weather and since they feed the extendahoe cylinder they are always moving back and forth, a lot more than the other hoses travel. The other hose was a small diameter guy at the 3way jaw on the loader bucket. I believe I'm out a couple hundred between the three hoses and the six fittings but then there's the lost oil and the clean up and the time it took, so closer to 500.
Only one of the extendahoe hoses actually failed but after the way it rained hydraulic oil all over the machine, the road and the fence I was working on I figured that I didn't want to have to deal with the other hose any time soon so it's hung in the shed now.
When a hose lets go consider removing it's counterpart at the same time. Sometimes not necessary. Sometimes the faiure is unique to the hose that failed. Still, the amount of movement and oil and heat in the guzinta is pretty much the same as the amount in the gozoutta so when one grenades I tend not to trust the other.

/ Rpms for backhoe #30  
I had a similar situation a few months ago, but on my loader. My tractor is a 2006 L3130. One of the hoses that go to the dump/ curl cylinders blew inside the nylon sleeve the hosses pass through going down the loader arm toward the bucket. Out on a job and no load in the bucket, just traveling and curled the bucket while moving, then POW! Hydraulic rainstorm. Sunglasses were the only thing that saved my eyes because the fluid came straight for my face. Luckily being the hose it was I was able to load the tractor and bring it home. Oddly enough, looking at the hose, there was no visible sign of a defect or any reason for the hose to blow out where it did. All of the hoses looked pretty much new. Mostly because the only time the tractor sees the sun is while it is being worked. Otherwise, it's kept under a carport and out of the weather overall. All of the hoses are original so I decided instead of having this happen again at a possibly worse time or place and given they were about 15 years old, I'd just replace them all at once. $400 or so later, I have all new hoses on the tractor. We have a few hydraulic shops here in town and all are great about walk-in service. I took all the hoses in and in 3 hours, all new hoses were installed and I was back in business. It was a rough morning, but the afternoon went a lot better.