Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #11  
1628203476209.png

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(
Yep, your thinking what i mean.

Its my next thing to check once i get it straightened out again.

If there is a small gap on the stop at full ram extension it cannot ''push" but would still act as a stop in if needed

tractor is not at my location so cant just walk and have a look :(

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #13  
Logically, at least to me, these nuts should be adjusted to that there is only a few microns of space between them and the axle housing. They should not hit the housing when you turn because the constant banging would damage the housing, but they should be there to stop the wheels from turning farther than they are designed to.

This is important to me now that I see it because when I'm mowing I'm always turning corners as tightly as I can and the ground is not smooth.

I still cannot find any information on the proper adjustment of these bolts.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #14  
Certainly those bolts are intended to be stops. In absence of official directions for adjusting them, I would turn the steering gently to what looks sensible to you for "max left turn," back that bolt out to just touching & thus preventing further turning. Lock the lock nut. Repeat for the right side. At the extremes there should not be anything straining hard or binding and you should be enjoying the tightest turns feasible. Somewhere buried in a shop manual there is probably a specification on max turning angles, etc.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #15  
Curiouser and curiouser.... After it gets light out (currently 4:23 AM here), I'll take a look at my 2310 and see if I might be able to shed any light on the issue. AFIK I've never had any steering issue with mine. Maheel, did you also happen to notice in your photo that the steering joint protective rubber boot is half gone?

Ok so i took the plates off, flattened them out again, put them back on.
At full lock, bolts on stops were touching and i reckon the ram was pushing on brackets.

I have backed off the stops to give me a small gap of 5mm and it does seem to have helped.

I ran out of time (and light) but will test drive tomorrow properly and see how it goes.
I am over in Australia so different timezone to many of you i think.

It would be good that any of you with the gc2300 let me know where your stops are etc on full lock if you could. I'll report back how it goes over here :)

PS - Yes the rubber boots are stuffed.... they are on the shopping list. Plates are $100 AUD a set here and need to price the boots.

few pics
Resized_20210806_170722.jpeg
Resized_20210806_170704.jpeg
Resized_20210806_170710.jpeg
Resized_20210806_170630.jpeg

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #17  
A shot in the dark here with multiple users. Doubt its a mechanical issue, more likely a hydraulic one. Pressure is applied to the cylinder by an input from the steering wheel. Most operators will hold the wheel in position while turning, setting the angle of the front wheels and reducing the oil supply from the orbital valve. If the wheel is cranked over to one side and held so the hydraulics can be heard going over the relief valve, it might be a situation where the cylinder starts shifting. A little at first, then more and more. The steering in a car and the GC are quite different mechanical/hydraulic methods.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #18  
1628215571036.png

Certainly those bolts are intended to be stops. In absence of official directions for adjusting them, I would turn the steering gently to what looks sensible to you for "max left turn," back that bolt out to just touching & thus preventing further turning. Lock the lock nut. Repeat for the right side. At the extremes there should not be anything straining hard or binding and you should be enjoying the tightest turns feasible. Somewhere buried in a shop manual there is probably a specification on max turning angles, etc.
That's pretty much what I'm finding for other types of tractors, nothing on these. My guess is that it's an adjustment overlooked by the dealer before delivery. What you suggest is pretty much what I'm planing to do on this weekend.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #19  
There is nothing in the owners manual about these bolts, what they are for or how they should be adjusted.
service manual for gc2400 does not even show them on axle/spindle disassembly.
yet there are there.....

service manual for gc2400 does not even show them on axle/spindle disassembly.
yet there are there.....

Hi Dmacleo

When you have time can you put your 2400 on full lock and see if the stops touch for me please