Oil & Fuel changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
Changed out the fuel filter per TC40 owner's manual #86620668 10/00.
Tractor won't start after multiple cranks.
Went to bleeding air from the fuel system at the filter-still nothing.
Then went to further bleed the fuel system, page 3-8 and 3-9-open the fuel shutoff valve.
Open the bleed screw, 1. at the pump, until air-free fuel flows, then close the bleed screen (sp-screw)possibly painted red.
My op manual is vague as to where the bleed screw is and what size is it-MM or SAE? Something hex head painted red or one or all of the four injectors?

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #2  
Did you crack one of the injector lines open and crank it over......

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #3  
May work for you but I seldom bleed an engine after changing a fuel filter. Of course I fill them full (as possible) before replacing them. I prefer to change them after have the engine warm. But with a helper I will shoot short burst of WD-40 into the air intake as the engine is being cranked at a fast idle. If you pay attention and engine is at fast throttle you can tell it is running out of fuel hit a blast of WD-40. Have a friend who says he uses a rag wet with gas and those fumes will work. Never tried that. I do remove the outside air filter but not the inner one. If you do this right you will not crank the starter much more than regular start.

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #4  
Try blowing some air in the tank. Put the tank under slight pressure for a minute and it should self bleed.

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #5  
Hi there - did you solve it?
On mine there's a bleeder screw to the right and down from the air filter and slightly above and to the right of the fuel filter. Here's what the TC25's looks like. My TC45 looks similar.

TC25-bleed-screw.jpg

I just changed my fuel filter and bled mine there - it was (IIRC) an 11mm that fit it. Could be different on yours. I opened that and it bubbled a bit and then flowed without bubbles. I did that again after starting it for a minute or so. Shut it off and bled it again and a few more bubbles. I suspect someone with a lot more experience than I have will know more on this but it worked for me.

Hope that is helpful,
Matt

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start
Did you crack one of the injector lines open and crank it over......

No I didn't.
In this photo, which is the bleed screw? Yellow or white arrow or neither? If it's the white arrow, it looks difficult to get a wrench on it. Any special tools needed? Maybe a universal socket? What size socket do I need? I can't get any of my sockets on it-I have limited mm sockets and plenty of sae sockets but nothing seems to fit. If it is the yellow arrow it takes an 11/16" open end wrench which I have.

Attachments

• IMG_3889 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3889 - Copy.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 183
   / changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #7  
Is the fuel filter full of fuel now? If not, remove that and fill with fuel and reassemble. Then try to start. I've never had to bleed the lines when changing filters, but I always top off the bowl before I put it back together.

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #8  
I would crack the white one and try it...

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start #9  
If you have the fuel filter full and loosen one injector line on the injector and crank it over if should force the air out and start..

/ changed out the fuel filter on a TC40 now it won't start
Here's another piece of the puzzle-I had a non New Holland dealer add a back hoe to it and for convenience I had them change the oil and fuel filter that I'm now replacing. Took out the fuel filter and there was no spring on the bottom of the filter! I've done this before and always made sure the spring was in place. Unknown to me the dealer left it out or lost it but it ran well without but I'm sure that condition didn't help the fuel filtration system. I have one on order. Part# SBA360740120