Corona Virus # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Corona Virus # 3 #221  
Looks like I will have to stock up - either that or start using both sides of each sheet :eek:

One square at a time :talktothehand: :talktothehand:

/ Corona Virus # 3 #223  
People urged down under not to hoard toilet paper because of shortages. :eek:

NSW premier urges virus, toilet paper calm | 7NEWS.com.au

Yeah... 'Big Smoke' problems. Today (Wednesday) was 'into town' day to hit up the Post Office and grocery shop for the week. The TP shelves were full and, no, I didn't stock up.

One proposed reason for the panic buying of bogroll is that people with family in China are buying as much as they can and then shipping it back to the old country. The shipping companies are neither confirming/denying this BUT this does happen regarding baby formula. Shops that carry baby formula are constantly being stripped of product, only to be shipped over to China by 'syndicates'. :confused2:

/ Corona Virus # 3 #224  
An article that I think advances what we know about Coronavirus.

China's cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why.
"It's all about speed": the most important lessons from China's Covid-19 response. Vox.

Some highlights:

1) Teach everyone to recognize symptoms. Dry cough and fever, not runny nose.

2) Prompt reporting of apparent cases, to get a response team moving.

3) Testing, treatment. Advanced treatment included oxygenating blood outside, like kidney dialysis. (this assumes ramp-up of capabilities)

4) Trace contacts, test them, quarantine them as needed.

5) Profit! In the form of fewer new cases found. Tracing contacts and getting them quarantined seems to have slowed the spread.

/ Corona Virus # 3 #225  
California, good article. I had to read it carefully but it was interesting. It seems to contradict some misinformation.

Chris

/ Corona Virus # 3 #227  
WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought

WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought

That's pretty alarmist.
You left out the phrase "of reported cases"

" "Globally, about 3.4 percent of reported Covid-19 cases have died, Dr. Tedros said. "in comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1 percent of those infected.
The estimate takes into account the growing number of infections being recorded outside China, mostly in Iran, Italy and South Korea.
Dr. Margaret Harris, a W.H.O. spokeswoman, said the figure was a crudely calculated snapshot of the disease's death rate globally, and is expected to change over time, and vary from place to place.

The figure does not include mild cases that do not require medical attention and is skewed by Wuhan, where the death rate is several times higher than elsewhere in China. It is also quite possible that there are many undetected cases that would push the mortality rate lower."

You think? Seeing how, until today, that under *****'s CDC guidelines, Doctors were restricted from testing for coronavirus on people displaying symptoms unless the person had been traveling to certain countries or met other narrow criteria.
So you can't have a mortality rate unless you know what the denominator is (the number of people who caught it). We have NO CLUE what that number is.

Last edited:
   / Corona Virus # 3 #228  
That's pretty alarmist.
You left out the phrase "of reported cases"

" 敵lobally, about 3.4 percent of reported Covid-19 cases have died, Dr. Tedros said. 釘y comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1 percent of those infected.
The estimate takes into account the growing number of infections being recorded outside China, mostly in Iran, Italy and South Korea.
Dr. Margaret Harris, a W.H.O. spokeswoman, said the figure was a ç”°rudely calculated snapshot of the diseaseç—´ death rate globally, and is expected to ç”°hange over time, and vary from place to place.

The figure does not include mild cases that do not require medical attention and is skewed by Wuhan, where the death rate is several times higher than elsewhere in China. It is also quite possible that there are many undetected cases that would push the mortality rate lower."

You think? Seeing how, until today, that under *****'s CDC guidelines, Doctors were restricted from testing for coronavirus on people displaying symptoms unless the person had been traveling to certain countries or met other narrow criteria.
So you can't have a mortality rate unless you know what the denominator (the number of people who caught it) is. We have NO CLUE what that number is.

Very well stated Coby

/ Corona Virus # 3 #229  
I think we are over complicating things regarding mortality rates. It is going to be near impossible to determine the denominator. So look at the deaths...PERIOD.

It would be interesting to know deaths /100,000 of population in Wuhan for the last ten years at this time of the year. Compare that with statistics from this year.

It is relatively simple to determine if there is a statistically significant difference.

KISS...but that may either scare the heck out of people...or not play into whatever narrative is being pushed.

For example, if ten year average is 1000/100,000 and current is 1300/100,000...no big deal...at least to me. If current is 4000.....

How simple is that!!!

/ Corona Virus # 3 #230  
We're a bit concerned here since we spent several hours at Harborview where one of the CV deaths occurred. While we washed our hands often, we also sat in the waiting room for hours over several days last weekend. My wife's Dad has been in ICU most of 3 weeks now (he was in acute care for a couple days, then back to ICU for a few days and now headed back to acute care when a room is available)...

There are a lot of people coming and going, using the elevators, touching the elevator buttons, etc.. I know we will be fine, but still concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.