Can't start this old BCS

/ Can't start this old BCS #1  

dosha9

Tractor
bcs
So I soaked the points in alcohol and cleaned rust off the magnets and flywheel, so now I have spark. I also cleaned out the carburetor, so gas is getting to the float. All I get is a small puff of smoke and a sputter. Could it be a compression issue?

/ Can't start this old BCS #2  
what type/brand of engine do you have on this BCS??? How old is it?
If its an ACME engine you should be able to get the parts from Joel at earth tools.

/ Can't start this old BCS
what type/brand of engine do you have on this BCS??? How old is it?
If its an ACME engine you should be able to get the parts from Joel at earth tools.

it's an ACMe, but I'm not sure what parts I need to get

/ Can't start this old BCS #4  
Is the spark plug wet with gas after trying to start?

/ Can't start this old BCS
no. I think there's still some fuel blockage between the carb and the combustion chamber

/ Can't start this old BCS #6  
I was able to find a service manual for my acme, it tells how to adjust the carb screws I believe:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bcs-america/manuals/Acme-215W-290W-330W.pdf

but that is NOT how I was able to get my tough starting engine to fire up. I got a deep socket metric set at harbor freight, picked the one that fits on the flywheel nut, got a 1/2 socket adapter with round shaft that I can lock into my milwaukee cordless drill. THEN I put the drill in the freezer so it can spin better before it "overheat/overload protection" cuts out (thus preventing me from starting). Then I put in on fastest spin setting number 2, on drill setting, slowly pull the trigger with choke on full, pull the trigger more and more as it speeds up!! and once it starts firing I take off the choke and repeat, and I have gotten my tough starting engine to start. And once it gets running it runs well, don't notice any missing or sputtering. It's pretty weird.

/ Can't start this old BCS #7  
Compression, Fuel, and "spark" gets otto cycle engines going most every time

Diesel saw things a bit differently, but the basics hold. Which aspect are you missing with your BCS?

/ Can't start this old BCS #8  
If the compression you feel when pulling the cord seems the same as normal, my guess since you have spark is that you have a blocked jet in the carb.

/ Can't start this old BCS #9  
my usual first pass,after checking for spark, is to squirt some fuel down the carb bore. Sometimes it takes a pull or two to clear a flooded condition, but if it pops off, you can usually tell if it's a fuel delivery issue.

/ Can't start this old BCS #10  
Not to thread hijack, but I will say this on my acme 10hp aln330. Runs smoothly once started. Compression feels and sounds normal when turning. I drained last fall's gas and put in ethanol free 91 octane. I cleaned and blew out the carb with degreaser, soaked parts in alcohol 24 hrs, blew everything well with compressed air, put in a new plug and verified good spark, but it is has just gotten very hard to start. Too hard to rope start, so that's why I'm using the cordless drill. I have to choke it full to get it to start firing, then take the choke barely on or even just off to actually get it to sustain combustion. It also stalls if I set the gas on the lower range of the handle lever adjustment. Wonder if it's a gas flow issue when starting, but once it starts going it's able to keep feeding enough gas? Was a 2-3 pulls rope starter when I got it just last fall but this season it's a beast to start. started out the season starting ok but just degraded to where I can't realistically rope pull start it. and the weird thing is that it runs strong and smoothly once started, rototilling 8 inches deep 30 inches wide on the 10hp gas, only once or twice when it really started digging deeper than normal (and the machine and wheels sinking into the ground) did it get close to stalling from load issues.