Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #22  
I'm always amazed when talking to bikers, some who have ridden for 20 years, about cornering, and you tell them; if you want to turn left, push the handlebars so the front tire turns right.
Half of them give you a blank /deer in the headlight /what are you talking about (?) stare.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #23  
I've ridden Harleys for over 40 years. Last year I gave my '98 FXDL to my son. This spring I bought this BMW because I've alway wanted to hear the wind & songbirds when I ride.View attachment 424044 Its a 2015 BMW R1200R.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #24  
I'm always amazed when talking to bikers, some who have ridden for 20 years, about cornering, and you tell them; if you want to turn left, push the handlebars so the front tire turns right.
Half of them give you a blank /deer in the headlight /what are you talking about (?) stare.

Not me.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #26  
Someone you know?

I know how to bend a bike into a corner. So I'm not one of those guys who doesn't know about counter steering. The video was the splash screen that was looped for a menu of a home-made DVD with the menu items in the lower right from back in 2005. Nowadays it is rather passé, but back then it was cool.

Attachments

• DCTC05_1001_EriconDaves6103.jpg
    DCTC05_1001_EriconDaves6103.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Wheelie3DCTC.jpg
    Wheelie3DCTC.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 233
  • WheelieFrontstraight.jpg
    WheelieFrontstraight.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 4thgearcornerwheelie.jpg
    4thgearcornerwheelie.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 217
   / Who rides motorcycles? #27  
There's no such thing as counter steering.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #28  
I guess , like anything, if you practice and get good at it, and have the right bike to do it with then riding a wheelie at high speed through traffic might be as easy as ..well..riding a bike. But it sure looks nuts.
Heres more my style.
I'm on a rented Harley somewhere in North Carolina. Maybe an hour or two west of Asheville?
Maybe somebody here knows.

http://youtu.be/IKWbLmYp2kc

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #30  
There's no such thing as counter steering.

Hop on a cruiser bike with plenty of rake. The inside part of the tire is smaller than the center of the tire. In order to make a motorcycle turn above a jogging pace, one must first push the mass of the motorcycle to overcome the rotating mass of the spinning wheel that would prefer the wheel to ride in the largest circle, In effect you make the mass fall from a larger circle to the smaller circle and then you must hold it. On cruisers, because they tend to handle like wheel barrels, you will notice than in a long sweeping corner, you are holding the weight on the handle bar in the opposite direct the motorcycle is traveling. This is because the momentum would prefer to carry the load on the largest diameter portion of the tire located in the center, rather than along the smaller diameter edge of the tire so and the rider must hold a little weight against this momentum on the handle bar to overcome the motorcycle standing itself back up and trying to go straight.

Beginners and find the feeling forgiving and comfortable.

Sport bikes tend to be neutral handling: the rider must force the bike to fall into a corner, but once down, the feeling on the handlebars is neutral.