Using a chain as top link with attachments

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #11  
See the picture of the LP floating top link. That is what I use for all contour following implements. It appears to probably be safer than a chain. My QH is equipped with one to use when needed. Top Link.jpg this comes from the LP QH Manual available on line free. This manual also has all the various lengths of lower and top link bushings for the QH.

Ron

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #12  
FYI some pictures from a Google Image Search.

496199709_640.jpg
Bushhog8_827.jpg

QH15_1_zps55ee0952.jpg
QH15_2_zpsc9e33407.jpg

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #13  
From a safety standpoint, having a chain in place of a rigid top link will allow the implement if caught rotate up onto the tractor. :eek: Depending on all the different circumstances that there may be determines how dangerous it might actually be.

I agree.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #14  
. . . My problem is, the implement does not float easily, therefore leaving small piles of dirt as the tractor goes up or down. . . .
Red Cox
Stephenville TX

Red, have you thought about just using this tool as a drag-type tool? Drag-type implements are unaffected by the tractor going up and down. You could weld an ear on each side of the front of the implement, and then use a piece of chain to attach it from there (on each side) to the drawbar, and not use the 3 point hitch attachment at all. For years and years farmers graded and maintained roads with all sorts of home made drag-type tools that leveled the ground.

But using a chain in place of the rigid top link should work. The chain would have to be long enough to allow the rear of the implement to not be pulled up when the tractor pivots down in the front and up at the rear. But it would need to be short enough that the rear of the implement would still be picked up off the ground when the 3 point lift was raised fully.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #15  
Growing up Dad built a rear facing bucket/platform for the back of our 35 Massey. Soon found that we could back into a dirt pile and fill it, then if we set it down and disconnected the top link it would dump by lifting the 3pth. A chain for a top link made things easy.....

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments
Red, have you thought about just using this tool as a drag-type tool? Drag-type implements are unaffected by the tractor going up and down. You could weld an ear on each side of the front of the implement, and then use a piece of chain to attach it from there (on each side) to the drawbar, and not use the 3 point hitch attachment at all. For years and years farmers graded and maintained roads with all sorts of home made drag-type tools that leveled the ground.

But using a chain in place of the rigid top link should work. The chain would have to be long enough to allow the rear of the implement to not be pulled up when the tractor pivots down in the front and up at the rear. But it would need to be short enough that the rear of the implement would still be picked up off the ground when the 3 point lift was raised fully.
Pappy; Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I have considered using it as a pulled drag. I could drill thru the front cross member of the implement and put heavy duty eye bolts through at or near each corner for attaching a chain which would then reach to my draw bar. I have have, on hand, a trailer hitch connector on two lengths of chain which I use pulling 2 cross ties as a land drag. The hitch connector hitches to a 1&7/8" ball on either my tractor or riding lawn mower.
Thanks for the suggestion and have a great day. One question. Are you saying if I used a short chain as top link I could lift the implement, to some degree, in order to move it to another location such as a place to disengage and store it??
Red

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments
Growing up Dad built a rear facing bucket/platform for the back of our 35 Massey. Soon found that we could back into a dirt pile and fill it, then if we set it down and disconnected the top link it would dump by lifting the 3pth. A chain for a top link made things easy.....
thanks Pat; I also have a rear scoop for my tractor and have used it a lot. Purchase from TSC. Only problem I have had with the scoop it that it has a trip mechanism located at front bottom that has to be pulled upward by a rope. I have found that when I try to dump contents from the scoop, the trip lever is very hard to pull upward by the rope in order to trip the scoop. Maybe it would be easier if I used a chain as top link. Haven't thought of that.

Thanks;
Red

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #18  
------------One question. Are you saying if I used a short chain as top link I could lift the implement, to some degree, in order to move it to another location such as a place to disengage and store it??
Red
Yes, if the chain is the same length as your top link was adjusted to, it will lift the back of the implement to the same height. If the chain is longer, it won't lift as high.
chain toplink_640.jpg

thanks Pat; I also have a rear scoop for my tractor and have used it a lot. Purchase from TSC. Only problem I have had with the scoop it that it has a trip mechanism located at front bottom that has to be pulled upward by a rope. I have found that when I try to dump contents from the scoop, the trip lever is very hard to pull upward by the rope in order to trip the scoop. Maybe it would be easier if I used a chain as top link. Haven't thought of that.

Thanks;
Red
With a chain you would not be able to set the digging angle or pull it in the forward mode. I had a hydraulic top link on mine, made it easy to get the right angle.

Notice that most of the weight is behind the pivot point of the scoop.

P7240527.JPG
P7250536.JPG

To dump, I would lower the scoop to the ground, removing the weight from the trip latch, pull and hold the trip rope, raise the 3 point, dumping the load.

Last edited:
   / Using a chain as top link with attachments #19  
. . . One question. Are you saying if I used a short chain as top link I could lift the implement, to some degree, in order to move it to another location such as a place to disengage and store it??
Red

Yes. Xfaxman explained it best. Your chain could be somewhat longer than the toplink - the rear of the drag would just droop some when you raised it. The great thing about using a chain is that if you find it's drooping too much, you can shorten it up by a couple of links and see if that works.

/ Using a chain as top link with attachments #20  
From a safety standpoint, having a chain in place of a rigid top link will allow the implement if caught rotate up onto the tractor. :eek: Depending on all the different circumstances that there may be determines how dangerous it might actually be.

One way to reduce this risk is to run the chain thru a length of pipe that's short enough to allow the amount of float desired without allowing the implement to lift too much.