EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #51  
Alright, has anyone bothered to actually put 2000 lbs in a ram and see how much it squats?

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #52  
Alright, has anyone bothered to actually put 2000 lbs in a ram and see how much it squats?

This issue is not only how much it squats but the numbers don't add up. With only 1000# payload you must deduct fuel and driver. So let's say that weighs 300#, that leaves you 700#. Now we all know it requires 10% tongue weight minimum on a trailer so it can only legally tow 7000#.

Compare that to your average F150 with 1700# payload capacity. You can put 4 175# guys a half tank of fuel and still tow 10,000#.

Chris

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #53  
This issue is not only how much it squats but the numbers don't add up. With only 1000# payload you must deduct fuel and driver. So let's say that weighs 300#, that leaves you 700#. Now we all know it requires 10% tongue weight minimum on a trailer so it can only legally tow 7000#.

Compare that to your average F150 with 1700# payload capacity. You can put 4 175# guys a half tank of fuel and still tow 10,000#.

Chris

You are confusing airplanes with trucks. Truck payload includes a full tank of fuel when printing the door sticker but I understand your point.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #54  
This last Friday an equipment distributor that I do business with from Ontario came to deliver a tractor attachment. Turns out his vehicle is the new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel in crew cab config. He absolutely loves this truck as his fuel costs are going significantly down from his previous Ram 2500 with Cummins. He is seeing the high 20s for highway mileage and admits to driving with a heavy foot. With a new aluminum trailer being made he will make the most of the towing capacity when he makes deliveries along the east cost from his home base in Ontario. Since he is a farm bureau member in his neck of the woods they get an added discount on top of other incentives. The truck listed at $49K but with all the incentives it came down to $38K and he received a trade in value of $25K for his Ram 2500 so the difference was easy for him to manage. I looked it over and was very impressed.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #55  

The standard box is 5'7"... so unless you are loading it with cast iron, you would be hard pressed to get that much weight in the box.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #56  
The standard box is 5'7"... so unless you are loading it with cast iron, you would be hard pressed to get that much weight in the box.

Umm, a pallet of something can easily weight 2k...

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #57  

Umm, a pallet of something can easily weight 2k...

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #58  
This ones got a bit of squat... lol.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #59  
   / EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #60  
Well if I had to regularly carry around a pallet of anything, I certainly wouldn't buy a half ton truck.