Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how?

/ Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I've never gotten an oil analysis done for anything, so the first part of my question, is how do you do it, and where do you send it? Then, what does it tell you?

Does the report come back with a bunch of things listed with values next to them, that don't make any sense? Or does the company who does it break it down into simple terms? I would have no idea how to read an analysis.

Also, my hydraulic fluid is due for changeout. I replaced the filter not too long ago but the manual says I don't need to do the fluid until now. Can I have an analysis done on my hydraulic fluid to see if the HST fluid really needs to be changed out?

/ Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how? #2  
   / Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how? #3  
I would imagine all the big brands of tractors offer oil scans on trans and hyd fluids. I know deere does from experience. The reason i reccomend going to your dealer first is from past experience is that generic oil scans come back as a bunch of numbers that mean nothing to me and you. A brand specific (example, a deere scan for deere equip) has a place for you to put your model machine on its paperwork. When it comes back it will still have all those meaningless numbers but if any level of anything is elevated the report will show where it came from and your dealer will know how to fix it.

/ Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how? #5  
Blackstone labs.

/ Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how?
Thanks guys,
I filled out the sample kit request form with Blackstone Labs. I'll also check with my dealer to see if they do them. I will try to get two samples, one for my HST fluid and one for engine oil, although, I just recently changed my engine oil so I may hold off for a bit on that one.

/ Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how? #7  
Another vote for Blackstone.

Thanks guys,
I filled out the sample kit request form with Blackstone Labs. I'll also check with my dealer to see if they do them. I will try to get two samples, one for my HST fluid and one for engine oil, although, I just recently changed my engine oil so I may hold off for a bit on that one.
Pull the sample when you change the oil.

Another vote for Blackstone.

Pull the sample when you change the oil.

But isn't the point of sampling the oil, to see if you need/don't need to change the oil? (in addition to seeing if there are any problems with the engine/transmission)

/ Can you get an oil analysis done for hydraulic fluid? Where and how? #9  
But isn't the point of sampling the oil, to see if you need/don't need to change the oil? (in addition to seeing if there are any problems with the engine/transmission)
I did samples to see how things were going with the present interval. It's easy when doing a full change but you can pump out sample or if you have a drain valve installed just take a little off the bottom.

For example on my Dually - first was dino, sampled and changed at about 5000 miles. Blackstone said it could go several more thousand. Then I put in T6, SAMPLED only at 7,000 miles Blackstone wrote back "This oil can definitely
go longer. Check back in ~3,000 miles." So already I'm confident my 15qt oil and filter change can go 10,000 miles.

Maybe I'll do a sample on the diesel Jetta next time it's ready for a change. The recommended service is 10k, and we drive it very easy, I might be able to get a lot more out of it.