repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial

/ repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial #21  
Tucker,
In Your last version of drawing the pump is gear driven. Like in both Jim's versions. So John Arthur is right, seems there must be a pump fixed by bolts somewhere at the bottom next to the timing. Me, I don't see it because of not enough visibility.
Your last drawing really accords to this tractor design.
When You speak about a valve, I'm not sure which one. There are two of them: relief valve and control valve. But I don't think You need to look for a problem in them, because the steering was OK, except oil leakage.

/ repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial
Whoever is going to work on this tractor is going to waste a lot of time, effort, and maybe money if they don't do a better job of procuring information. This means a service manual, either for a 4400 or an early 5000 which uses the same system and for which a service manual will be easier to find.

The guy who has the tractor wanted to save money by hiring me to do the work. I charge less than a mechanic but since I haven't worked on these tractors before, it will take me 10 times as long. What he saves in money he has to give in time. I had to leave for a weekend so he said he and a friend would work on it. I haven't heard from him since but it bugs me so I am still looking things up and finding info. If he is going to have me do the work still, I'll need to get a service manual. Until then I don't want to spend any money on it.

/ repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial #23  
yea a manual is a good thing because believe me u can through alot of money at one of these systems real quick

Tucker,
In Your last version of drawing the pump is gear driven. Like in both Jim's versions. So John Arthur is right, seems there must be a pump fixed by bolts somewhere at the bottom next to the timing. Me, I don't see it because of not enough visibility.
Your last drawing really accords to this tractor design.
When You speak about a valve, I'm not sure which one. There are two of them: relief valve and control valve. But I don't think You need to look for a problem in them, because the steering was OK, except oil leakage.

When I say valve I am talking about the control valve. I am thinking that the first thing would be to check the hoses then it could be that the seals went on the control valve. I can buy the seal kit for the control valve and the cylinder from an online store.

/ repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial #25  
When I say valve I am talking about the control valve. I am thinking that the first thing would be to check the hoses then it could be that the seals went on the control valve. I can buy the seal kit for the control valve and the cylinder from an online store.

The control valve's job is to change direction of oil flow to the steering cylinder according to the steering wheel turning direction.

I'll give You some statments from PS troubleshooting cocerning the possible causes of control valve malfunctioning just for to be taken into account:
a/ hard steering;
b/ steering force flactuates;
c/ heavy steering especially in the beginning of steering;
d/ steering wheel turns spontaneously when released;
e/ front wheels wander to Right and left;

Yes, while the steering of a tractor right now is in stuck, You'll need to check more than the oil leakage only.

/ repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial #26  
Tucker, I think you are a great guy with a big heart and willingness to try anything, but this type of job is a great learning experience in why some jobs just need to be walked away from. You can make exceptions to many things, but some things are needed. I don't care if it belongs to me or someone else, I will not work on something without documentation. In these situations, one mistake and it will suddenly be all your fault according to the owner. He'll say "the kid" didn't know what he was doing and fail to mention that he was trying to cheap out on the repair. It can hurt both your pride and reputation. It's really none of my business and you are welcome to tell me so, but I'd stay away from this one and consider myself lucky.:thumbsup:

Edit: Your user name is soooo appropriate in this situation.

The control valve's job is to change direction of oil flow to the steering cylinder according to the steering wheel turning direction.

I'll give You some statments from PS troubleshooting cocerning the possible causes of control valve malfunctioning just for to be taken into account:
a/ hard steering;
b/ steering force flactuates;
c/ heavy steering especially in the beginning of steering;
d/ steering wheel turns spontaneously when released;
e/ front wheels wander to Right and left;

Yes, while the steering of a tractor right now is in stuck, You'll need to check more than the oil leakage only.

Thanks, that's a good thing to know. :thumbsup:

Tucker, I think you are a great guy with a big heart and willingness to try anything, but this type of job is a great learning experience in why some jobs just need to be walked away from. You can make exceptions to many things, but some things are needed. I don't care if it belongs to me or someone else, I will not work on something without documentation. In these situations, one mistake and it will suddenly be all your fault according to the owner. He'll say "the kid" didn't know what he was doing and fail to mention that he was trying to cheap out on the repair. It can hurt both your pride and reputation. It's really none of my business and you are welcome to tell me so, but I'd stay away from this one and consider myself lucky.:thumbsup:

Edit: Your user name is soooo appropriate in this situation.

Good point. I am used to working on things without documentation, but this, I am realizing, is one I shouldn't try. I have gotten a reputation around here for being able to fix anything, but mostly small engines. This reputation I don't mind because people will then give us stuff that doesn't work, and I can normally fix it without a manual or exploded view.

I picked that username because that is what I do, I will take something apart see how it is supposed to work and then make it work by tweaking, grabbing something out of the spare parts bin(which has a huge variety of stuff) or by buying the right part. I have fixed DVD players to snowblowers. This is why I was given the job but I am realizing that it is a little more complicated and requires a service manual if I am going to get it done in a reasonable time. I highly doubt I would ruin something but it would take me a long time and there is always the chance something could go wrong.

/ repairing power steering on a Ford 3500 Industrial #29  
Tucker,
Like Jim, I've also noticed some coherence between Your nick name and Your willingness something to do :) I know some similar guys around me and I respect that kind of approach.
I do believe, if that Ford would need to fix the oil leakage only, You'll do that with no doubt. But as PS now is not working at all, fixing will be a bit complicated and might be charged by responsibility (in time, cost, quality ...) from the owner's side.

Tell me, in the 'about me' You declare You own 1953 Economy King 2414 tractor, but You've placed a profile picture with Kubota. Do You own both of them? Did You ever rebuild the 2414 tractor?

Tucker,
Like Jim, I've also noticed some coherence between Your nick name and Your willingness something to do :) I know some similar guys around me and I respect that kind of approach.
I do believe, if that Ford would need to fix the oil leakage only, You'll do that with no doubt. But as PS now is not working at all, fixing will be a bit complicated and might be charged by responsibility (in time, cost, quality ...) from the owner's side.

Tell me, in the 'about me' You declare You own 1953 Economy King 2414 tractor, but You've placed a profile picture with Kubota. Do You own both of them? Did You ever rebuild the 2414 tractor?

I do own only the Economy King tractor. Last winter I bought and completely disassembled the tractor and repainted and replaced parts where needed. It was a fun project and the tractor is now earning it's keep.
The Kubota in the picture is a friend's. He let us borrow it a few days this summer if we could transport it about an hour from his place to ours. That tractor was great, especially with the FEL :thumbsup: We really gave it a workout tilling and removing rocks, old foundations chunks and sidewalk remains from a yard we were turning into a field. I would love to get one but we do not have the money or space at the moment and even if we had the space, it would have to me one gooooood deal for us to afford it. That is why one of the craigslist scams made us look twice but it looked suspicious and I Googled the email which told us what we needed to know.