John Deere 3038E 4.70 star(s) (43)

Information, reviews, photos, discussion topics, owner pages, and specifications about the John Deere 3038E.
25-50 HP Tractors
1704756425.jpg

About the John Deere 3038E

John Deere 3038E Discussions (0)

Here are the most recent 3038E topics from our community.
No discussions tagged.
[ad placeholder]

User Reviews (43)

Read what TractorByNet members think about the John Deere 3038E Subcompact Tractor
74 %
19 %
5 %
2 %
0 %
5.00 star(s)
TGF

3038E John Deere
New but happy so far
Model Year: 2010

With only 7 hours of time on my tractor I can say so far it has been a life saver and money saver. I recently purchased an acreage with about 1/4 mile of drive. We had a long and wet winter with snowfall total in the 5 foot range and lots of wind to drift it. With the 305 loader on the tractor I was able to clear the drive in about 40 minutes to an hour (paying someone else cost 300 bucks a clear). I had to clear it 7 times, 6 of them work days and 4 of them back to back. I estimate so far the tractor has saved me 2100 dollars in clearing fees and several thousand in lost wages. Being only 7 hours old all I can say is no problems yet and I hope it stays that way.

Pros: Traction control is easy to use, low cost for 38 horsepower
Cons: none yet

5.00 star(s)
USNative

3038E John Deere
5.7 Good Hours

I just used my tractor for the first time today moving sod and was surprised at how well the tractor and the 305 loader handles the loads. Very good tractor for my needs. Plenty of power with the turbo engine. This is my first tractor and I am very satisfied. It doesn't have loads of features but has all I need for the type of work I use it for. Just a great basic tractor and a great value for what it is.It's very easy to use and anyone could use it. If you need a good tractor and are just starting out, this would be a good start. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting a good tractor on a budget.

Pros: Powerful engine, easy to operate, good loader and nice looking.
Cons: Only has rear PTO. No offseat PTO and loader is not removable.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
Summerhill Farm

3038E John Deere
Replacing the little Kubota

I finally decided the little 17HP Kubota was no longer meeting my needs, especially when slashing about 30 acres of pasture at 3 feet wide per run. I did a lot of researching on the net (any idea how many second hand tractors are on the net?) and many trips looking at second hand offerings, before I decided that maybe a new tractor was the only viable option. I had a good look at a number of manufacturers (New Holland, Case, Massey, Kubota, Iseki) before deciding the JD offerings were probably the best value for money locally. I wanted a tractor with about 40HP, 3PL, Loader, with enough grunt to lift round bales safely, and able to comfortably run a 1.5 metre slasher. The 3038E eventually came out as the most affordable model to meet these needs for me. [JD 3038E, 305 Loader, JD I-Match Quickhitch] So far, I've now put about 20 hours work on the machine, exercised all the above requirements, and been very happy with the outcome. The tractor is easy to operate, is not 'flimsy' in construction, and isn't just a beefed up lawn tractor, which some of the other manufacturer's offerings seemed to be. I'm very pleased with the I-Match quick hitch, strong and works well, but beware the 3PL products that don't meet the mounting point standard layout for Cat 1 hitches and don't provide adjustment via spaced mounting holes.

Pros: Well sized, strong, good power, easy to operate, very good build quality, and good dealer support.
Cons: Lack of rear remotes (kit available at significant cost).

5.00 star(s)
chuck c

3038E John Deere
John Deere 3038E

I just bought this tractor and love it so far. It runs like a dream, easy to operate, especially for a guy with limited tractor experience like me. I would not give up the separate forward and reverse pedals for anything else. I live in a valley and cleared some brush with it. I only had to engage the 4WD once on a very steep incline. All other hills were easily maneuvered by the 2WD. The E models are what I call economy models, maybe they call it that too. JD has removed the quick release loader, mid-pto and cruise options, plus maybe a few others I have not yet noticed. Without a mid-pto, I see no reason to have a quick release loader. However, I wish it had a marker to indicate when the bucket is level with the ground. I think I can live without the cruise, time will tell. This model is a great way to get 38 HP cheap, if you can live without a few luxury options. The dealer was pretty good, could have had a better delivery experience, but hey, didn't have to pay for it so I can't complain too much.

Pros: Easy to use and operate, powerful and fun.
Cons: No bucket level indicator or cab options.

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

3038E John Deere
Good Fit for Our Needs - No Regrets

We bought this to handle "bush-hogging" of about 10 acres of neglected (i.e. brushy), uneven pasture and maintenance of another 10 acres of woodlot & "yard" spaces. The 3038E easily handles a 5' rotary cutter & could probably handle a larger one. The 305 FEL is easy to use in conjunction with the HST & power steering. It handles "scoop & lift" operations very nicely though not really beefy enough for directly grubbing 4" stumps. That the HST is only a 2 range has not been an issue for me since low range has been plenty fast for every thing I've been doing. I really like the independent PTO - it runs at full speed regardless of how my I may need to vary my ground speed to accommodate the terrain. The cockpit is a good fit for my over-sized self. It starts easily & has never been short on power. The limiting factor is more like to be traction. I am more likely to spin all 4 wheels when under heavy load than to bog down the engine. Some of this may be due to the R4's we chose to allow use in lawn areas without undue potential for turf damage. I pretty much stay in 4WD. I never drive on pavement and 4WD helps make tight turns with less "push" slip on the front wheels. Being an "E" machine allowed me to get more capability for the tasks I needed handled at a more accessible price point as I wasn't paying for features "might" need "some day". I can add them later if needed (i.e. additional SCV, cruise, work lights, hydraulic top link, FEL park kit, etc.).

Pros: Power, price, comfort, & ease of use.
Cons: No frills, lighter weight than some other equipment with similar HP.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
hp246

3038E John Deere
JD 3038 E
Model Year: 2009

Best part of the purchase was the Dealer, who delivered the day before Christmas in a raging snowstorm.

Pros: Perfect size for my property.
Cons: I was used to a little heavier tractor.

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

3038E John Deere
John Deere 3038E

I purchased this tractor along with a 6' mower deck, 5' Grader, 5' snow blower and the 305 loader with nothing but praise so far! I reside in Maine and have received over 70" of snow and this machine chops through it like nothing and the weight of the machine handles the thick stuff awesome. The mower handles over 6 acres of grass and the grader handles the dirt private road very nice. I priced out the other 3000 series tractor's and this one was priced right and the HP was what the doctor ordered. Great machine for the price!! the dealer was also great and I would buy from them again & again!

Pros: Price, HP, & capabillities.
Cons: N/A

5.00 star(s)
msmud

3038E John Deere
Compact power at bargain price

I don't know if you can get this much power in as small a package and as cheaply from any other manufacturer. My 3038E operates a 6' bush hog (JD RC2072) with power to spare, though it requires almost 600# front ballast to balance the machine. For basic pasture mowing, I often run the machine at 2100 rpms, 2500 for brush or fine-cut operations. The unfilled R4 tires have fair grip, but the power of this tractor requires that you not over-inflate the tires. At 9-10 psi in the rear tires, I usually have to engage the 4WD only briefly when I need it. Fuel economy is tremendous, at 2/3rd gallon per hour. The short wheelbase worsens ride with a long bush hog but lower tire pressures compensate. Leg and seat room are very good, and the non-adjustable steering wheel has been comfortable. My worst complaint is having no dash light for the 4wd or the parking brake, which can easily be left on if applied lightly. I also find the differential lock to be a little difficult to engage, and often requires several tries. The power steering is not a quick as the 3x20 machines but still is very effective. The mechanical hydrostatic mechanism is a little noisier than the electronic version on the 3x20 tractors, and harder to modulate in high gear at slow machine and engine speeds, but overall the machine is a joy to operate. Cruise control is an option, but I don't miss it given how comfortable the hydrostatic drive and seating position are. Slope balance is much better than the 3x20 machines with cabs. Given the lower rated rpms, higher operating torque and higher torque rise of the 3E series as compared to the 3320 and 3520, a 3032E likely would be plenty powerful for users who don't do PTO intensive work. For those who do lots of ground engagement like ploughing, sub soiling, or heavy box blading, R1 tires likely would be a much better choice on the 3E series. So far I am extremely satisfied with this purchase.

Pros: High power; fuel efficiency; price; slope stability; simple design.
Cons: Ride with long implement, few dash lights, & finicky differential lock.

4.00 star(s)
beaglegun

3038E John Deere
John Deere 3038e

Good value if you don't want any hydraulic attachments and you only need 2 ranges. If you need extras you don't want this tractor. Lots of power and easy to operate.

Pros: Inexpencive, powerful, easy to operate.
Cons: No extras.

5.00 star(s)
evanmoore

3038E John Deere
John Deere 3038E

Just used to demolish a burned guest house. Worked well, particularly with bucket extenders to lift large sections of wall.

Pros: Powerful; turning radius very good.
Cons: Not quite heavy enough to pull down support beams.

[ad placeholder]

John Deere 3038E Owner Pages

View owner pages to see photos, customization and comments about member-owner John Deere 3038Es

John Deere 3038E Community Rankings

#302 user rating of 2360 25-50 HP Tractors items
#10 Viewed of 2360 25-50 HP Tractors items
#16 discussed of 2360 25-50 HP Tractors items
#788 user rating of 27046 items overall
#15 Viewed of 27046 items overall
#28 discussed of 27046 items overall
#5 Ranking of Most-OwnerPages in 27046 items overall