What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #11  
The local Tractor Supply sells Hobart shade 5 cutting glasses. That's what I generally use. My Miller hood also has a cutting setting or I can make it darker.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #12  
I checked my Lotos manual again; it does not specify.

Willing to bet they state something to the effect of "use adequate protection", to resolve them from any possible liability

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #13  
I got curious and looked up the cheap princess auto Goggles.

They do meet ANSI Z87.1 which has a UV rating of 6, which is the highest.

I don't know why you have to to go a somewhat confusing and overly fancy website to find out what the ANSI number for that thing you are buying, means.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #14  
Whatever you use do not forget danger from flying particles. Sun glasses do not protect from those. I would only ANSI approved safety lenses along with the ANSI light protection. You do not want to breathe in those fine particles you can hardly see that Plasma generates. All welding, cutting and grinding produce particles you do not want in either your eyes or lungs. I have lung damage resulting from fine metal particles compounded by asbestos. Lucky no cancer ye,t but am on the watch for it.

Ron

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #15  
Whatever you use do not forget danger from flying particles. Sun glasses do not protect from those. I would only ANSI approved safety lenses along with the ANSI light protection. You do not want to breathe in those fine particles you can hardly see that Plasma generates. All welding, cutting and grinding produce particles you do not want in either your eyes or lungs. I have lung damage resulting from fine metal particles compounded by asbestos. Lucky no cancer ye,t but am on the watch for it.

Ron

I was plasma cutting something and had a piece of shrapnel fly off and hit the edge of my glasses. It could have gone under. No damage but I witched to a wraparound style of welding --shade 5--goggle glasses and am starting to wear an old helmet with shade 5 lens in it. Plasma cutting is dangerous and best prepare for the unexpected.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #16  
I use a tinted (#5) full face shield. Same as a grinding face shield but tinted. Relatively inexpensive, easy to take on / off, and provides room for a respirator to filter the fine metal particles generated by plasma cutting. I use the same face shield when I use my oxy/acetylene torch.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #17  
I use a tinted (#5) full face shield. Same as a grinding face shield but tinted. Relatively inexpensive, easy to take on / off, and provides room for a respirator to filter the fine metal particles generated by plasma cutting. I use the same face shield when I use my oxy/acetylene torch.
That's probably a good call... I use goggles because they mate with my respirator well. Might have to try that. Wonder if there is a cheap HF version?

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #18  

Another alternative is a clear face shield with a flip up shade 5 visor. Most times I use the sunglass type for both oxy/acetylene and plasma. IMG_4485.JPG

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #19  
Another alternative is a clear face shield with a flip up shade 5 visor. Most times I use the sunglass type for both oxy/acetylene and plasma. View attachment 535252
Terry, that one on the right looks like the ticket! I think I found it on Amazon for US$56. Not too bad... on the xmas list for next year unless I get antsy! :D

Sellstrom 32251 Clear Anti-Fog Polycarbonate Face Shield with Shade 5 IR Flip Front Window and Extended Chin, Side Guard, Universal: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Edit... I think this one is it w/o chin guard at US$41

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Sellstrom S32151 DP4 Multi-Purpose, Plasma Cutting / Grinding, Flip Front Shade 5 UV/IR Face Shield - Black Crown and Clear Anti-Fog Window with Ratchet Headgear

Now I am even closer to not waiting until next xmas!

Last edited:
   / What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #20  
The face shield is a great idea and perfect for plasma cutting.
What type of respirator do you use with plasma? I have both the throw away fume and paint ones and also the permanent one with replaceable fume and paint odor canisters.