What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Watching some videos on youtube; some say dark goggles are ok with plasma cutter. I have auto-dark helmet and was using it while I tried out my new cutter.

I looked in the manual; they did not give details. What is best to use with a plasma cutter?

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #2  
I use a shade 5 goggles with bright ambient light. Also have a pair of shade 3 goggles. My helmet is too dark.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #3  
I use cheapie but rated goggles, same as for a cutting torch.

I know more then a few guys that use dark sunglasses. Most sunglasses block UV but I wonder if enough for a Plasma?

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #4  
My owner's manual said shade 5 so I bought a pair of shade 5 "sunglasses" and use them. Works fine.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #5  
"Works Fine"? Did you measure UV levels by chance? Does the shade number address UV levels at all?

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #6  
This is a vague question; as correct answer depends on several variables. Most important are plasma amps and cutting or gouging? Higher amps, darker shade, gouging typically goes to the darker end as well. Hypertherm Std shades are 6 and 8, with 5 being available as a separate replacement. I will use anything from sunglasses for quick low amperage cut to shade 8, maybe even a little higher for high amperage gouging outside in the sun. Note Sunglasses (for me) are for a single short/quick low amperage cut through sheet metal only.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #7  
If you ever feel that the light is too bright, go darker, or stop!

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #8  
My owner's manual said shade 5 so I bought a pair of shade 5 "sunglasses" and use them. Works fine.

"Works Fine"? Did you measure UV levels by chance? Does the shade number address UV levels at all?

The owner's manual said to use shade 5 glasses so I went to the Lincoln welding place and said I want some shade 5 glasses to use with my plasma cutter. He said OK and handed me a pair. Should I educate myself further on this?

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter #9  
Not Flea Market sunglasses? I'm sure anything from Lincoln is made for that.

I should check my dark work goggles to make sure they have UV protection. I would feel sick, if I find out they don't.

But again, and I could be wrong. It's the dangerous UV, not particularly the LIGHT brightness. It would not be good if your iris opened on account of dark glasses that had no UV protection.

/ What eye protection is best with Plasma Cutter
I checked my Lotos manual again; it does not specify.