Riggin up the lights!

/ Riggin up the lights! #1  

JonE

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710/LA401
I must have been on the same wave-length as Dan M. and his JD. I just finished putting some work lights on my 2710. I love it and can't imagine why I waited so long to do it. You'll notice from the pic that I can rotate them 360' and up and down. They are 35 watt fog lamps that I mounted on a box from radio shack. Put some foam rubber strips on it for vibration damping and simply drilled holes (in the box that is, not the ROPS) to tie wrap them on. There is a fuse that I mounted in the box that came with the lights. It is a 15a so I decided to leave it in because the work light fuse in the Kubota fuse box is 20a. I am pleased with the install and that I can focus the light on anything fore or aft (or to the sides for that matter) of the tractor. This is going to really help /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif when I am in the woods in the middle of the night getting fire wood that I procrastinated getting before./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Riggin up the lights! #2  
JonE,
Nice clean setup you have there.
Is the connection box weather proof also the base of the lights into the box?

Wondering how much the complete unit cost.

Sometimes is kinda nice to work after the sun goes down /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif more peaceful.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Riggin up the lights! #3  
Hmmm, I like the box and are those wire ties holding things togather?

Since I need at least one more light and two would be better I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get it done. My 55 watt forward facing lights are somewhat fixed. It takes wrenches and screw drivers to move the lights. Which I think is a good thing for the most part. BUT, I would like to be able to point lights were I want 'em. I have roughly 11 amps left in the circuit so I'll likely get two 35 or maybe 55 watt lights. But I really need a way to point the lights were I need 'em. The box is a good idea.....

Thanks for some ideas.
Dan

/ Riggin up the lights!
Thanks very much guys!
The total cost (most of which is tied up in the lights) is as follows.
$30.00 for lights (wal-mart including switch and some wire)
$4.00 for box (radio shack along time ago, just had it kickin around)
$1.50 for a couple connectors, tape, ties, and adhesive backed tie wrap mounts
so I guess that makes it around $35.50-$40.

Yes those are really long tie wraps holding on the whole ensamble. There is some foam strips between the box and the rops to dampen any vibration and create a nice tight friction fit.
The box is sealed except where the wires come out on the bottom for the lights. I'm not too concerned however because it is facing down and there are no exposed connections in the box anyway. All taped up and siliconed up.
I really like being able to just reach up and adjust the lights to virtually any position I want and to switch them on and off.

/ Riggin up the lights! #5  
JonE
I've been looking at those small lights, nice and compact. Was wondering if they put out about the same light as a 3"x5" or a 4"x6" light, and is a fog light close to a flood light, or something more concentrated in one spot? I would imagine they are halogen.
Bud

/ Riggin up the lights! #6  
JonE
nice setup. i'm looking to add some lights to my folding ROPS. i'm going to do something similar, thanks for sharing
your rigging.

kevin..PA

/ Riggin up the lights! #7  
Jon -

Nice tinkerin' ! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I wasn't too interested in such a thing until daylight savings ended. Now I start to see the light. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I'll be filing your post and picture in my tinkerin' files for future reference.

XMasSig.gif

/ Riggin up the lights! #8  
I found some reasonable work lights @ CT Farm and Country.

They are metal housed Halides in flood or trapezoidal beam patterns. P/N 12281005 (flood) and 12299005 (Trapezoidal).
$14.99

http://www.farmandcountry.com/shop/custserv/default.asp

Their web page is pretty lame, you need the catalog to figure out what is on the web page./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Riggin up the lights! #9  
I used standard AC junction boxes. The 1/2" knockout on the back is just right for the light mounting stub. Mine are under a canopy, so I didn't use covers for the junction boxes. The only concern I'd have is that the boxes should be somewhat weather proof. Some water isn't going to hurt crimped connectors. However, a box where ice could build up inside could be a problem. I guess salt spray from road salt could be a problem as well.

/ Riggin up the lights! #10  
Great looking and very clever set-up. I think you just helped me with a rear lighting problem I've been trying to solve. And with the bunch of snow we had here the last day or two and having spent quite a few hours pushing the white stuff after dark, I'm motivated.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob Pence