Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #21  
Yup, my sister had one, and my neighbor was killed by one.
My first car and I never had issue one with it actually and it was frugal on gas and I'm cheap so it worked fine for me. Pinto hatchback actually. I'd say Jeeps, especially the solid front axle models are way more dangerous than any Pinto ever was. Had a CJ5 that was literally a death trap on pavement.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #22  
Every time that I see this on the road I'm reminded of the Ford Pinto. I once drove 50 miles, and over the course of the trip saw several gad and fuel cans along the side of the road. I've always suspected they had come from one of those carriers.
You have to strap them down good.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #23  
I guess I'm lucky I'm not dead. I've been filling gas cans in the bed of my truck for over 50 years. I have NEVER heard of a static explosion with diesel nor have I ever seen the delivery guy run a static ground strap when he delivers my diesel. I've seen them run the ground strap on gas deliveries at the stations. I guess I'll have to put me a grounding grid in the bed of my truck and C clamp it to the gas pump ground.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #24  
I guess I'm lucky I'm not dead. I've been filling gas cans in the bed of my truck for over 50 years. I have NEVER heard of a static explosion with diesel nor have I ever seen the delivery guy run a static ground strap when he delivers my diesel. I've seen them run the ground strap on gas deliveries at the stations. I guess I'll have to put me a grounding grid in the bed of my truck and C clamp it to the gas pump ground.
I don’t ground or worry about diesel cans. Gasoline is where the risk is.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #25  
I don’t ground or worry about diesel cans. Gasoline is where the risk is.
I think that's probably correct. Diesel is low fuming and hard to ignite. Doesn't mean its impossible.
I also think that a lot of the "information" in this thread is well-intended but wrong.

For one thing, there is no way a a truck body&frame is being grounded when it sits on tires.

For another, even if both the fuel pump and the container are grounded by wires buried in the ground, it is entirey possible for a person to have picked up an opposite charge with clothes or sliding across seatcovers getting out of the truck - or even walking across the pavement. We all know tha, because we've all been shocked that way.

The only real safety is to equalize all the charges by touching everyhing to ground and each other before any fumes are released. For static charges, "everything" means metals and non-metals both because both can carry surface charges.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #26  
You have to strap them down good.
I had a gas can carrier I made on the back my truck and the two 5 gal cans made to Alaska from MO.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #27  
For one thing, there is no way a a truck body&frame is being grounded when it sits on tires.
Fair statement but when my supplier delivers bulk diesel, he connects the bulk tank to his truck to equalize and static electricity, always done that. I don't ask questions, just pay the invoice. I do believe he has a static strap hanging off the frame underneath that contacts the earth as well but I've never looked actually, I will next time I have the tank filled.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #28  
The truck is on rubber, so "grounding to the truck" is non-sense.
Not at all. All modern tires have electrically conductive additives in them , like carbon black, which keeps the tires conducive enough to dissipate static charges. It’s a requirement.
Overall tires are a poor electrical conductor, but they conduct just enough to flow static charges

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #29  
If you carry a jumper cable, You can use that. Clip one end on a fuel container area small enough for the jaws, like a handle, and the other end to metal on the pump, or steel curbing edging, or any other metal imbedded in the cement

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #30  
Not at all. All modern tires have electrically conductive additives in them , like carbon black, which keeps the tires conducive enough to dissipate static charges. It’s a requirement.
Overall tires are a poor electrical conductor, but they conduct just enough to flow static charges
Never knew that.