Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
I'm currently using 5 gal poly fuel cans for gas and diesel and put them on the ground when I fill them.

I'm contemplating going up to 10 or 15 gallon cans, and I know they make 50+ gallon poly tanks with pump that have fork slots in them. All those sizes pose a problem getting back into the truck when full at the gas station.
Is it safe to fill those larger tanks in the bed of a truck? Gasoline especially since I use more of that than diesel. If so, do any special precautions need to be taken?
I have a spray in bed liner in my truck if it matters.

Last edited:
   / Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #2  
The main issue with filling gas cans in the back of trucks was the rubber bed mats that prevented the static from disipating.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #3  
I would say a ground strap from the bed of the truck/cans to the fuel nozzle so they're at the same potential.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #5  
I am no expert on this!
I would consider an aluminum tank with the proper grounding set-up if I were planning on leaving it in the truck during fueling! I would also use chains and binders to tie it down rather than straps.
Does your bedliner remove easily? Some do, some don't but if it does, remove it to get the best conductivity between the tank and your truck.
David from jax

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #6  
Definitely use a grounding strap or mat.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #7  
Static discharge is the main reason I still use five gallon poly jugs for gasoline. Set on the ground - fill - huff back into the pickup.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #8  
Even though I gave a long bed truck with plenty of room, when I’m filling gas cans, I attach a metal hitch haul basket to the receiver hitch and strap my cans there. For diesel, they go in the back of the truck. I know someone who was seriously burned by filling gas cans in the bed of his truck. Of course he didn’t have grounding straps ( how do you ground a plastic can?)

Last edited:
   / Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #9  
I don't know what you really gain by switching to larger fuel containers. 5 gallons is heavy enough to lift, IMO. The racing fuel style cans hold slightly more and claim that you can store more fuel in the same space, plus I think they are slightly more stable in transport. I fill them on the ground. The larger opening makes it easier for me to fill them without spilling any fuel.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #10  
If your truck bed is metal and doesn’t have a plastic liner I seriously doubt you would ever have problems. I’m sure someone is going to say that the truck tires isolate it from the ground and they’re not wrong but the same is true for the regular fuel tank. I fill my lawnmower on the trailer all the time and so do most other people that transport their lawnmower. Is the lawnmower going to burst into flames? If anyone wants to be extra safe wrap some copper wire around the can and attach the other end to a conductive weight. Then put the weight on the ground when you’re fueling.