creating a culvert

/ creating a culvert #81  
Another bad idea in MY opinion

Cut the ends off a propane tank.....while thicker metal than a 55gal barrel........it still becomes a thin and flimsy piece of metal that is not difficult to crush.

Add to the fact that you would need SEVERAL propane tanks of the same size to weld together....and torching them.....gonna have more time and money in doing a bad job than just doing it right.

And still back at the diameter of the tanks and amount of fill needed. All for a culvert to cross a ~ 6" deep 2' wide little creek

A 18” culvert is $400 plus tax. Some of these replies are acting like the right tool is $50,000.

/ creating a culvert #82  
A 18” culvert is $400 plus tax. Some of these replies are acting like the right tool is $50,000.
I know, but at the same time, we have all been in a situation where we didn't have $400 of disposable money... I would install the 18" hdpe or cmp, and call it done. If that was cost prohibited, I would drive around, or Ford the creek.

/ creating a culvert #83  
Ya, that's what I've been thinking all along. Today I picked at a 10ft long piece of 18" HDPE culvert left in a junk pile.

/ creating a culvert #84  
I know, but at the same time, we have all been in a situation where we didn't have $400 of disposable money... I would install the 18" hdpe or cmp, and call it done. If that was cost prohibited, I would drive around, or Ford the creek.

I get it but spending money trying to rig it up and still having to spend the money again to do it right doesn’t make sense either.

/ creating a culvert
Any chance the electric company can contribute to this project??

Doug in SW IA
That is a great idea. Never thought of that. They do have a 25' right of way, and need to cross that area. Thank you.

/ creating a culvert
Seems like the utility company will easily exceed your tractor weight with any vehicle they use.
Maybe, but I've only seen them on foot. I've been told they have used a sxs, but I haven't seen. The trail wouldn't accomodate a regular company truck. It wouldn't be able to navigate their 25' ROW either. I would never deny them access to this path...

/ creating a culvert
Pictures would help, but the ideal situation is to:

1. dig it all out, try and save the pipe if you can.
2. shoot grade on both sides, 4 in over 10 ft of fall is just fine. Key here is to ensure the inlet is also properly graded and compacted. I do a gradual slope into the inlet....say over 10 feet so you can to reduce the rush of water right up to the pipe (think prevent a waterfall that will erode under the pipe inlet).
3. place pipe, fill carefully at least 6" on top of a 12" pipe (do NOT hit the pipe when filling...I have done this on 2 x 20 ft sections and pulled them apart in the middle...had to dig it all out and redo it...never again) with 2 minus to fines or some well compacting road base.
4. compact both sides of pipe well
5. Fill over and grade road over pipe
Thank you.
Someone suggested a swail, I'm assuming that just means dig a wide trench, say 6' in my case and fill with rock. I do have some large crushed ledge, 6"+ I could use. My upper path is a swail about 3' wide that I laid some 6" or so rocks and have no issues crossing with tractor. Both places have a steep drop down within 6' of where the crossings are. Live in hilly mountain area.

/ creating a culvert
Ok, got some pics. Tons of leaves make seeing it difficult. 1st pic shows path. right to left id 8'
2nd pic shows left side of culvert, board is just to right of crushed/split pipe.
last pic shows leaf clog.. ugh

Attachments

• 20231012_175334.jpg
    20231012_175334.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 20231012_175257.jpg
    20231012_175257.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 20231012_175237.jpg
    20231012_175237.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 73
   / creating a culvert
1st pic shows swail? where I cross with tractor. Description in previous post.
2nd pic is the electric companies ROW. No way anything getting through that. I only brush hog as far down as I feel safe. Deer, bear and moose have no issues though.
last pic is the just before swail I cross, to show not wide or deep of a stream.

Attachments

• 20231012_174937.jpg
    20231012_174937.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 64
  • 20231012_175152.jpg
    20231012_175152.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 20231012_175004.jpg
    20231012_175004.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 70
   / creating a culvert
And like I said before, haven't seen any used pipes around here, for free. Used are almost as expensive as new. A swail seems like a better route if electric company doesn't want to help.