creating a culvert

/ creating a culvert #1  

Mtsoxfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D
I have a stream that runs through, and I cross frequently. It currently has a 12" plastic culvert, which is crushed just past where my wheel goes. I've been looking for used 18" or whatever, and nothing around. I was thinking about 3 -55 gal steel drums. I guessed that they would last at least 5 years. Not sure I need more than that. It's just a shortcut to area I could get to easily enough if culvert wasn't there. Price does play a role.
Thoughts?

/ creating a culvert #2  
I'm not sure.. but there's different gauges on the thickness of 55 gallon barrels ..you would definitely need the heavier gauge ..and then I would still be concerned with the amount of weight they could support as a culvert . I presume you would weld them together to create it ..let's here about the amount fill that would be used to cover it and the amount of weight that would be transported across it ..

/ creating a culvert #3  
A 55 gallon barrel is drastically thinner than an actual culvert and they don’t have ribs either. They would probably crush under the backfill and almost certainly not hold up for driving.

/ creating a culvert
Only 2 ribs. Didn't measure, but they are very heavy duty. Banded ends, not the bung type.
Crushed by backfill??? Really... These are not Walmart trash cans.
Only thinking of cutting less than 1/2 of ends out. Maybe round holes.
3500# max, and I really think it'd be closer to 2600#
Have never crossed with any kind of load. Too far from where ever I'm coming from/going to.

/ creating a culvert #5  
I know it's expensive right now; but don't reinvent the wheel; 18" Corrigated Metal Pipe; go Atleast 8 ft longer on Each side than you think you need. Place min 12" of compact fill over the top, and your good for 25+ years. HDPE is same deal, but is lighter, maybe just a touch cheaper, but I don't trust it as much. If you want something to last more than 25 years; go with Reinforced concrete pipe, 15" or 18" pipe; wrap the joints with filter fabric, back fill, and your done.

/ creating a culvert #6  
You can find culvert "cut-offs" for cheap since they are left over from jobs.. . Here is a 10" I just picked up for free. I'd never wast my time with steel barrels....
culvert0560.jpg

/ creating a culvert #7  
24 LF of 18" CMP, $830. I dont think the barrels would last, and it's a Lot more work, just go with a known product.
Screenshot_20231009_203617_Google.jpg

/ creating a culvert #8  
If you're able to bury it deep enough, like 24" of cover it will work. For 2600# probably less, but the more earth over the "pipe" the more load it'll carry.
There's a point (depth) where there's no limit on weight and any more depth is useless. It's connected to the pipe diameter and this I don't know. 👍

/ creating a culvert #10