Canopy

/ Canopy #51  
Yep, I knew what the yellow thing was /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

It was the power cord that I saw. I was imagining some sort of remote on/off valve, like Mark C's thumb switch for his 4-in-1! If that were the case, I was going to next suggest that you'd gotten just a wee bit far into the hydraulics thing all together, eh? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ Canopy #52  
Grand looking setup.
Would that old pipe wrench be a 10 incher about 40+ years old.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Canopy #53  
Thomas, I think you're right about the size, but as for the age, well, I inherited it a few years ago and it was too rusty to use (don't know how long Dad had it, but he probably inherited it from his Dad), but after I worked it over in the Cyclone Blaster, it's good as new.

Bird

/ Canopy #54  
Bird,

Like you I also ran PVC pipe for my compressed air. I got tired of the noise from the compressor, so I moved it out of the heated portion of the shop and ran PVC pipe temporarily until I could afford iron pipe. That was about 10 years ago..../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

I do some spray painting from time to time, so I added a section of larger pipe to act as a reservoir to damper out surge loads. That helped offset the small size of the compressor and is a lot cheaper than a surge tank. I only run 90 psi in the pvc, but I can imagine it still being a bad thing if it were to blow out. Iron pipe is the best and I may still get around to it....

John Bud

/ Canopy #55  
<font color=blue>used the peg-board-and-hooks in the past but always had trouble keeping the hooks in</font color=blue>

WVBill -- Looks like I'm visiting old threads today, but I was up at the property over the weekend, and, as usual, spent much of my time in what used to be my dad's shop (now my shop/tractor barn). Pop was, among other things, a master wood-crafter. The shop he put together exemplifies one of his numerous slogans -- "a place for every tool, and every tool in its place". /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mind you, this never rubbed off on me, but I had to admire the way he stuck to his own preachings. At the end of every day, no matter how late, no matter how tired, he put every single tool back where it belonged, dusted every surface and swept the floor. Each morning was a brand new beginning.

The point to all of this is that he used the pegboard idea, but he didn't use pegboards. He would lay down a large sheet of plywood and carefully lay out his tools in the most tidy and efficient manner he could, and carefully mark the "hanging points" of each tool on the wood. Instead of pegboard hardware, he used L-screws (or whatever you call them), which he screwed into the holes he had drilled to the precise depth required by each tool.

Now, that would be enough for any mortal man, but once he was satisfied that everything was arranged and would hang properly, he then removed all the screws and applied a whitewash to the wood to keep it from yellowing with age, applied a light varnish and then framed it with chair rail molding. Only then was it hung on the wall and the screws re-inserted and tools hung in place.

Evey wall of the shop is covered with tools, cupboards or shelves, all of the same quality. Attached is a picture of but one corner of the shop, showing a couple of these tool boards. Sadly, many tools are out of place 'cuz shortly after he died, my not-so-favorite teenage nephew decided it was now his playroom and had his buddies in there, drinking, smoking dope and generally trashing the place. When I heard what was going on, you can bet the poop hit the fan. There are now new locks on the doors, ruffled feathers in the family, and I am still trying to figure out where everything belongs. (Years have passed and there are no longer unwanted visitors.)

Wow! That was way more than I set out to say here, but I thought you'd enjoy seeing the tool boards. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

FWIW - Pop made his living as an educator and retired as an assistant superintendent of a large school district. Woodworking was just a hobby.

HarvSig.gif

Attachments

• 37-32197-ToolBoard.jpg
    37-32197-ToolBoard.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 159
   / Canopy #56  
Bird,
Nice pics. Looks like you've got a great place!

Like you I also ran PVC for my air lines in my shop (simple and quick). The problem with PVC is it shatters rather than rips when it blows under pressure. This is usually only a problem when it gets hit (even worse when it gets cold - PVC becomes somewhat brittle - not that big a deal most of the time in the south, but a problem for the guys up north). A great polyethylene plastic air piping system is available from Chemtrol or Asahi plastics. The system cements together just like PVC and is rated for 150psig @ 73F. The only problem is availability. You probably have to get it from an industrial supplier that handles industrial plastics such as Epsco. At the time I ran my air piping setup these polyethylene piping systems weren't available to me. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely use them.

Scott

/ Canopy #57  
Harv, that really is a fine looking workshop. You say he laid out "his tools in the most tidy and efficient manner he could." I did, too, at the time I put the pegboards up, but that was before I started the air tool repair business, and added some tools, so now it's not the most efficient lay out./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif The problem is that I don't want to re-arrange everything because now I know where everything is and if I re-arrange it, it would take me too long to learn where to find the tool I wanted./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Canopy #58  
Larry,
I rigged up a canopy for my tractor using 1-1/2" PVC piping for the frame and a tarp cut to fit. I u-bolted two 2" PVC pipe sections to the role bar that the hole canopy just slips into (easy and quick to install and remove). Granted it's not metal and will not protect you if a large branch falls on it, but it does a great job keeping the sun and a light rain off. It is fairly sturdy (had to custom fit some 1-1/2" PVC knee braces) and only cost a little over $25 in material.

Scott

/ Canopy #59  
Great idea Scott! I'm not looking for protection from falling objects, just protectio from the sun. A few hours of sun wears me out worse than hard work. I'll definetly consider your plan!

Thanks,

Larry...

/ Canopy
I thought about doing the same thing except putting a sheet of marlite on the top. Matter of fact I went out and bought all of the pipe and bolts etc. Then I got to thinking that if I was to roll the tractor the PVC might splinter and I wouldn't like the effects of that. So I scratched that idea.
JerryG