Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,001  
I read that article the other day but didn't quite understand it. Fern is it supposed to be on the market? We know something's going to come along that's better than lithium ion battery power. In the meantime, I'm very pleased with leaf and model Y. My Ankylosis Spondylitis appreciates no oil changes and the gas station model smells.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,002  
Cost to own is also opportunity cost... People never figure that in

That article makes No sense at all. Water engine ? what water?

The article name is in opposition to what it then claims is IN FACT a hydrogen engine

That article then leaves out the most important part of the declared 50% efficiency..

Where is the hydrogen coming from?

It mentions that it is not a fuel cell which sounds a whole lot like like highly compressed hydrogen tuned piston engine.

There goes the beats EV right there.

Toyota is being sued over not having access to hydrogen for buyers of the Mirai and the fact is that compressed hydrogen is exorbitantly expensive, assuming after driving to one of the few and diminishing stations there is fuel, the pump is not broken or connector frozen to the vehicle in front of you.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,004  
That article leaves out the most important part of the declared 50% efficiency..

Where is the hydrogen coming from?

It mentions that it is not a fuel cell which sounds a whole lot like like highly compressed hydrogen.

There goes the beats EV right there.

Toyota is being sued over not having access to hydrogen for buyers of the Mirai and the fact is that compressed hydrogen is exorbitantly expensive.
Maybe someone's trying to recreate the Big Bang. :)

It is still amazing what Elon Musk is doing for Earth and space travel yet I read that some do not appreciate it. I saw the other day where China is closing in on the reusable rocket booster technology.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,005  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,006  
I think the idea is that Americans will abandon personal car ownership for the use of robo taxi. I don't see this being an affordable or convenient option for most of the country.
I can drive anywhere I want, any time I want, for a few thousand dollars per year. We would have to robo taxi about 30x per week... How does that pencil out for me? Can I get 1500 rides per year for what I pay for private car ownership? My round trip drive to work is 75 miles. That costs me about $10 in fuel. The car I use, I paid $9000 for, 5 years ago, and will probably drive for 10 more... Literally for $2k per year I can go anywhere at any time.

This seems like an extension of the "you will own nothing, rent and subscribe to everything, and make others very wealthy while doing so".
I see a huge risk in a product that requires people to change their lifestyles with almost no upside. We are raising a culture of instant gratification. Who is going to plan when they go to the grocery store and reserve a taxi? Who is going to go to a mall to shop unless they can depend on robotaxis to be lined up ready to take them home? Will they handle thousands of people at a sporting or music event?

It seems a fair number of people are unwilling to abandon the "gas station" model when it is so easy to charge at home, but that is reality. Changing how people live requires pain. Either it must be so expensive that they want to change, or the new way makes their lives so much easier (less pain) that they want it (like microwave ovens).

The cost of a cab driver pencils out to about $20/hr and that is the only saving with a robotaxi. Unless the software cost is insignificant, saving $20/hr is not going to make using a taxi that much cheaper than it is now. Most trips are 15 minutes...$5 in labor.

Like you said, owning a car can be very affordable and gives people freedom. Seems like an uphill battle.