Z930R - Zero Turn Purchase - Comments and Rules of Thumb?

/ Z930R - Zero Turn Purchase - Comments and Rules of Thumb? #11  
I just mulch all of mine. Pretty amazing how they disappear.
Does it take a lot of passes? We have a lot of trees surrounding and in our yard, and the massive silver maple trees in particular, absolutely blanket the yard in leaves. My mulching blades probably manage to pulverize 1/4 to 1/2 the total leaf mass, leaving it in the lawn, but I still end up shooting the remainder into the woods and gardens that surround the property.

Grinding it all into the lawn would shift soil pH and screw with my carefully-managed fertilization plan, but all that can be worked out with a little testing and trial. My mower could easily last another 10+ years, but seeing as I will probably keep this property longer than that, upgrading now might not be the worst thing in the world.

I did price out the mulching deck for my mower, but the stamped pan alone was like $3800. They said to figure over $7k to build that deck from the parts counter, since the mower is out of production now. :rolleyes:

/ Z930R - Zero Turn Purchase - Comments and Rules of Thumb?
All of my mulching kits have been permanent. I guess you could take them off but you wouldn't want to. I love mulching everything.
I'll keep that in mind after putting it on. If it does the job, then why change. Clippings make good fertilizer. Thanks!

/ Z930R - Zero Turn Purchase - Comments and Rules of Thumb? #13  
I'm just surprised by how fast these things go. wow.
LOL... I remember thinking that, at first. Like every fast car you've ever owned, it starts to feel slower with time. Particularly in October/November, when it's effing cold out (with added 10 mph windchill!) and you're racing to beat sunset on each mowing... then it'll feel too slow!

Does it take a lot of passes? We have a lot of trees surrounding and in our yard, and the massive silver maple trees in particular, absolutely blanket the yard in leaves. My mulching blades probably manage to pulverize 1/4 to 1/2 the total leaf mass, leaving it in the lawn, but I still end up shooting the remainder into the woods and gardens that surround the property.

Grinding it all into the lawn would shift soil pH and screw with my carefully-managed fertilization plan, but all that can be worked out with a little testing and trial. My mower could easily last another 10+ years, but seeing as I will probably keep this property longer than that, upgrading now might not be the worst thing in the world.

I did price out the mulching deck for my mower, but the stamped pan alone was like $3800. They said to figure over $7k to build that deck from the parts counter, since the mower is out of production now. :rolleyes:
My JD dealer advised against it. He indicated that once you put it on it can be a costly repair to it if something goes wrong. if you have a way of getting under and putting the kit on, then it is a cheaper alternative.

LOL... I remember thinking that, at first. Like every fast car you've ever owned, it starts to feel slower with time. Particularly in October/November, when it's effing cold out (with added 10 mph windchill!) and you're racing to beat sunset on each mowing... then it'll feel too slow!

Can't be any slower than a lawn tractor at full RPM (loud as hell) putt-putting across a 5-hour grass cutting chore....

/ Z930R - Zero Turn Purchase - Comments and Rules of Thumb? #16  
My JD dealer advised against it. He indicated that once you put it on it can be a costly repair to it if something goes wrong. if you have a way of getting under and putting the kit on, then it is a cheaper alternative.
They still had the kits NOS for a few hundred on ebay two years ago, maybe I should've grabbed one then! I'll check again tonight.

Argh. I had my delivery this week and unfortunately the raising/lowering of the deck would not work. Tech came out, looked at it, and needs to take it in. Puzzling…. You‘d think they would have checked that before they came out with it.

I’ve never had issues with this dealer - so it is a first. But frustrating as I waned to use it to cut my grass today and had to revert to the X320..

oh well!