YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ?

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #1  

1redroan

Tractor
Yanmar YM1700 1975
Do I have to break apart the tractor to replace fork - Hi Lo lever shift. If not, I know to remove shift cover, then what do I do ?
Oh -- big howdy to all, I'm new to the FORUM

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #2  
Not for sure which part you are wanting to replace, might take a look at this. Welcome to the forum.

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ?
fork inside transmission, moves gear in and out of Hi or Lo

Attachments

• 20230723_094735.jpg
    20230723_094735.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 97
   / YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ?
Not for sure which part you are wanting to replace, might take a look at this. Welcome to the forum.
I added a picture, sorry trying to learn how to use forum

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #5  
   / YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #6  
If it is popping out of gear it will need more than a shift fork. A common problem is the dogs on the side of the gears that engage the adjacent gear get worn and pop out under load. Both gears, the one with the dogs and the one with the pockets for the dogs will wear and will need replacement.

"popping" out of high gear

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #7  

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #8  
I see I am quoted in both the linked posts!

12 years later now, an update: I can report that the bungee holding the range selector in high or low is still working 99% of the time. A couple of times per year it will jump out, at maximum load and when lurching over rough ground.

Since this YM240 is now used only to run its attached backhoe there's no urgent reason to split the tractor and replace several expensive parts.

Long ago an original Yanmar dealer posted that all related gears have to be replaced to fix the range selector jumping out of gear. Anybody know if parts are available?

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #9  
Incidentally - I got the idea of the shifter bungee from a friend whose father raced jalopies long ago. He said in those $100 claimer junkers everyone welded a J-hook to the dashboard to hold the floor shift lever in second gear.

Something similar, rigid, in place of a flexible bungee might be a good-enough fix to go another decade.

/ YM1700 - Broken fork Hi -Lo. Break tractor apart to replace ? #10  
Long ago an original Yanmar dealer posted that all related gears have to be replaced to fix the range selector jumping out of gear. Anybody know if parts are available?
It is possible to save the gears if the only problem is the rounded dogs. Shops have been undercutting dogs on gears for better engagement for many years now.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

John Deere 960 Field Cultivator (A33041)
John Deere 960...
Jacks (A33041)
Jacks (A33041)
2 Yard plastic dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard plastic...
HITACHI EX300LC EXCAVATOR (A32908)
HITACHI EX300LC...
AGT LRT 23 Skid Steer (A33526)
AGT LRT 23 Skid...
International Offset Disc (A33041)
International...