Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load

/ Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load #1  

papacamper

Tractor
Yanmar SC2400
I know this is the JD forum but this motor is similar or the same as some of the JD scuts (i even get my parts from the JD dealer), and yall are smart and more active than the yanmar forum

1) Tractor has roughly 500 hours on it and has moved/blown snow great all winter until recently when it will randomly "fall on its face" when under load. Normally the tractor runs around 3200 RPM and will slow to 2900/3000 when blowing deep snow. Recently it will randomly fall down to 1500-2000 RPM and struggle to climb back up when there is a load on the blower. Ive noticed it seems to be happening after 10-15 minutes of running but I could be wrong on that. Once this problem arises is doesnt go away after one or 2 times happening, it keeps doing it, but randomly. For instance i could make a 50ft push through snow with no problem, then bam, just falls on its face even though the snow isnt any deeper in that spot.

Ive changed the air filter and the fuel/water seperator filter. There is an in-line fuel filter im having trouble getting my hands on so i cleaned out the one on the tractor the best i could with some Sea Foam (may have been useless, idk) and that didnt seem to really help. So that could be the culprit.

2) Its in a 45F heated shop and has been struggling to start since this summer but is progressively getting worse. Glow plugs? Are these 2 linked, or just a coincidence?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load #2  
could you have a bad rubber fuel line ( sucking air) or maybe a bad lift pump ? Also hows your fuel filter look ?

/ Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load #3  
Fuel tank vent plugged? Or maybe algae or debris plugging the outlet pipe in the fuel tank?

/ Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load #4  
Is the blower hydraulic, or a 3 pt pto blower?

In either case, if the engine bogs down, will the rpms immediately go back to normal if you shut off the blower?

Just trying to determine first if the blower is causing the problem vs the tractor itself.

/ Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load
Is the blower hydraulic, or a 3 pt pto blower?

In either case, if the engine bogs down, will the rpms immediately go back to normal if you shut off the blower?

Just trying to determine first if the blower is causing the problem vs the tractor itself.
Rear 3 pt pto blower and 100% sure its not the blower. Not to be arrogant

Fuel tank vent plugged? Or maybe algae or debris plugging the outlet pipe in the fuel tank?
After lots of forums and youtube Im going to check more into the tank itself this weekend. This seems like it may be the culprit. Is the thinking here that theres enough fuel in the bowl and lines so its gonna run great for a few minutes but the flow is restricted so once those are depleted the flow isnt able to keep up when the motor wants a little extra juice?.

This tank is in a very difficult spot to remove on its own, is there a good/safe way to clean the tank without removing? Like a particular fluid besides water to try to flush it out?

/ Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load #7  
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem... only question is which component to blame.

/ Yanmar SC2400 randomly loses power under load #8  
This tank is in a very difficult spot to remove on its own, is there a good/safe way to clean the tank without removing? Like a particular fluid besides water to try to flush it out?
Check boating forums. Diesel biocide is like vitamin-C to these guys, it's a very common problem in sailboats, where diesel can sit unused for long periods. Similar problem with non-removable tanks, and getting clogged with biology.

Problem solved! There was something blocking the outlet hose coming from the tank. When I pulled the hose off the nipple there were only a few droplets flowing. After i cleared the nipple there is not a steady stream of diesel flowing. I will have to fully address the issue at a later date to get the tank completely cleaned but for now the machine is running great again.