Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner

/ Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner
Congrats on the machine!

Re-Q#5, the pedals are less touchy in 4wd or under a lighter load.
Re-Q#6, My SA324 was delivered with overfilled HST as well. I had the tech drain the excess [2+ qts.

And a Q of my own, What is your idle speed set to?
Thanks and enjoy!

Sorry for delayed response, my tractor idles right around 1350-1400RPM when warmed up. I致e noticed these tractors are smoky/unhappy when first cold started (with or without glow plugs) but once warmed up they run like a top, have you noticed the same thing with yours?

/ Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner #12  
Sorry for delayed response, my tractor idles right around 1350-1400RPM when warmed up. I致e noticed these tractors are smoky/unhappy when first cold started (with or without glow plugs) but once warmed up they run like a top, have you noticed the same thing with yours?

I know you weren't addressing me with your question, but hope this helps...

I just looked in the manual. It states if the ambient temperature is over 32degF, to glow for 2-3 seconds. If it is under 32degF, let it glow for 4 seconds. I think I used their stated time for <32degF all of one time. "Unhappy" is a pretty good description of its behavior with a 4 second glow. My Ford 6.0L diesel won't start at 32degF with only a 4 second glow cycle unless the block heater has been plugged in for a few hours.

On the tractors, I tend to glow for about 15 seconds when ambient temperatures are around freezing and longer as it gets colder. I cannot say how Yanmar would feel about those extended times, but the grumpiness at startup seems to be minimized when I let it glow significantly longer. I keep the tractors on a trickle charger in the winter, so I'm not too concerned about running the battery down with an extended glow cycle prior to a cold start.

/ Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner #13  
Kubota uses the same adjustment method. You tilt a Box Blade or rake by having pin higher on one side than the other, then fine adjust tilt with the right Lifting Rod. In this way the right Lifting Rod is not extended too far, putting strain on just a few right Lifting Rod threads.

To a certain extent you can gross adjust the amount of bite a Box Blade has on dirt by changing holes.
LOWER HOLE = LOWER LIFT.

Top Link length effects bite in a different way. Top Link is primary bite adjustment for most operators.
Thank you for the insight there. I've been twisting the right lifting rod adjustment mindful of the lack of thread bite when overextended. Will try tilting using the holes...

Erbid

/ Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner #14  
I agree with the comments above about glow plug warm up times in reality vs. the owners manujal. My 2022 SA 425 requires around 12 or 13 seconds warm up at around 32 degrees F. Otherwise it smokes and coughs terribly. I do not care for its behavior and in spite of the owners manual instructions I do what the tractor tells me not what the book says.

/ Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner #15  
Thanks- only rough / smoky for a few seconds..

/ Yanmar 324 Questions from a New Owner #16  
The reason the tractors idle a little rough and are a little smoky is that they are mechanical fuel systems. When you step up in size, the common rail engines have sensors to detect temperature, atmospheric pressure, fuel pressure, and the list goes on. A common rail engine will run smoother, but then again, you have the emissions systems to consider.