Yanmar 165d steering problem

/ Yanmar 165d steering problem #1  

Koda123

Tractor
Yanmar 165d
My dad gave me a Yanmar 165d that he has had for along time. It has had a problem for quite a few years when backing up you can’t steer it. It steers fine going forward there is only a little bit of play in the steering tie rod ball joints and one side has a tiny bit of in and out play I believe one kingpin was replaced before by his neighbor, so I don’t know that many details. I am having trouble finding parts for this machine. But I was hoping somebody could help point me in the right direction. Thanks for your help

/ Yanmar 165d steering problem #2  
My dad gave me a Yanmar 165d that he has had for along time. It has had a problem for quite a few years when backing up you can’t steer it. It steers fine going forward there is only a little bit of play in the steering tie rod ball joints and one side has a tiny bit of in and out play I believe one kingpin was replaced before by his neighbor, so I don’t know that many details. I am having trouble finding parts for this machine. But I was hoping somebody could help point me in the right direction. Thanks for your help
I'm still hoping to rebuild our old YM165D that I loaned out years ago & it got ruined. Looking for a spare or another if you run across one.. Haven't gotten to the steering yet. Their was a factory bulletin about water in the steering column building up and ruining the bearings in the steering box. Make sure that box is working smoothly and has oil.
rScotty

/ Yanmar 165d steering problem
I'm still hoping to rebuild our old YM165D that I loaned out years ago & it got ruined. Looking for a spare or another if you run across one.. Haven't gotten to the steering yet. Their was a factory bulletin about water in the steering column building up and ruining the bearings in the steering box. Make sure that box is working smoothly and has oil.
rScotty
Ok thank you I’ll check on the steering box. I’m pretty sure it’s almost never sat outside I think I’m going to replace the steering ball joints I’m just having trouble tracking them down

/ Yanmar 165d steering problem #4  
Ok thank you I’ll check on the steering box. I’m pretty sure it’s almost never sat outside I think I’m going to replace the steering ball joints I’m just having trouble tracking them down
Hoye has the tie-rod ends available.

/ Yanmar 165d steering problem #5  
If you don't find them here, go to the vintage Yanmar forum here on TBN.

I'm still perplexed by why anything in the steering system would steer going forward, but not backwards..... It almost sounds like some part of the tie rod or ball joint or kingpin arm is facing the wrong way.

Thank you at least those will be a start hopeful the play in them is causing the steering issue when backing up
The wheels are a toed in like they should be but it kind of looks like when you back up as soon as you try to turn the steering wheel it looks like they tow even more all of the ball joints have a little play in them. I just talked to my dad and he said maybe he has the alignment of from when he replaced one of the king pins