/ Yanmar 1510 steering drag link #1  

pdetterman

Tractor
Yanmar 1510
Hey guys, I bent my steering drag link real bad on my old Yanmar 1510. Home Tractor Parts doesn't have one in stocker in their boneyard, and they can't tell me to use one from a different model (for legal purposes I'm sure, and I get that). But the rep also told me to come over here and ask around for suggestions. Like, is there a tractor that uses the same size shaft? Or maybe I could just use a tie rod with the same length??

As you can see, it is suppose to have a slight bend in it normally, but mine is so bent now, I can only turn left.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• steering0.jpg
    steering0.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • steering2.png
    steering2.png
    126 KB · Views: 87
  • steering4.png
    steering4.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 93
   / Yanmar 1510 steering drag link #2  
I would try a rosebud torch tip and try to straighten it. You might need to take it to a welding shop if you are not equipped.

/ Yanmar 1510 steering drag link
So, that did cross my mind, but won't it be more likely to bend again? Is there a way to harden it once its bent back into place? Heat it and then quench it?

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 1510 steering drag link #4  
So, that did cross my mind, but won't it be more likely to bend again? Is there a way to harden it once it's bent back into place? Heat it and then quench it?
Just eyeballing the photo, it looks like someone already was playing around with it. Hard is not equal to strong. I think that you want strong. I would take it to a good welder, and they can get it back I shape for you, and perhaps add a little something since this seems to be an issue for you. Or have fun yourself and bend it back to shape and add on a little extra to stiffen it up for your uses.

Sorry that this is an issue.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yanmar 1510 steering drag link #5  
Hard often makes brittle. You don't want that.

/ Yanmar 1510 steering drag link #6  
TR-1500 Complete Rod Assembly is showing. TR-2000 also so it looks like the 1500D maybe the only model they done it like that. With a bend. The TR-Ends are the same though. If the Arm bends again. Replace the complete assembly if you can even get one. If it was me I would replace the TR-Ends and make new stronger arm.

I think that's the right answer.

Was that bend made after installing an aftermarket loader then noting interference?
The bend is suppose to be there. It has a curve/bend in the exploded view pics from the first post. The metal has just gotten softer over time and bends easily now.

TR-1500 Complete Rod Assembly is showing. TR-2000 also so it looks like the 1500D maybe the only model they done it like that. With a bend. The TR-Ends are the same though. If the Arm bends again. Replace the complete assembly if you can even get one. If it was me I would replace the TR-Ends and make new stronger arm.
Thanks, I am going to cut and weld a new one together

Thanks everyone for the help. Made my own with a 5/8 rod, welded it together with my "tombstone" Lincoln arc welder and reused the old ends. Threw it back on the old yammer and its working great. Not sure why it had bends in it from the factory, the straight rod doesn't interfere with anything.