X495: Start/Stop, or idle?

/ X495: Start/Stop, or idle? #1  

ArkCivEngr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT, John Deere X495
I traded in my GX335 for an X495 a couple of weeks ago, and after using it a couple of hours last weekend to haul some brush, the above question quickly came up. The owner's manual states "allowing engine to idle for long periods of time will waste fuel and cause carbon buildup."

1. I'm going to assume that by "idle" they mean at the lowest throttle setting. When I've left mine running to dump a load of brush, I leave it somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle.

2. What is a "long period"? It could be interpreted many ways, but I'm thinking that anything over 10 minutes would probably be excessive. But if I keep the throttle at 1/3 to 1/2, does it matter?

Overall, I'd be inclined to think that leaving it running at about 1/3 for a maximum of 7-8 minutes would be better than shutting off and re-cranking.

Also, if there are any other X495/X595 owners out there, I'm curious as to what throttle setting you mow with. I put mine up to about 3/4 and it sounded about right, but the owner's manual says to put it all the way to full.

/ X495: Start/Stop, or idle? #2  
We recommend that you don't low idle for over 15 minutes, not a Deere thing, just what we recommend. Run WOT when mowing. The deck is designed to operate at a certain blade tip speed for optimum cutting quality. Also WOT will provide more air flow through the hydrostat cooling fan and more air flow over the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ X495: Start/Stop, or idle? #3  
I have the 585 and while I don't claim to be authoritative on the subject, I mow at 3/4 throttle also and it works for me. The only time I run WOT is if the grass is really deep. As you said it sounds right /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif