WWII scrap drive

/ WWII scrap drive #31  
A photo of the WWII scrap metal drive held at the Porter school house during the war years. Several of the students in the picture were cousins of my dad. The school house was sold at auction in the early 60’s when my grandparents bought it and built it into their forever house. It’s been our home for over forty years now but no longer looks like this picture.

Attachments

• BF2CCDD2-59B6-477E-88B6-CF5AD5B1AD21.jpeg
    BF2CCDD2-59B6-477E-88B6-CF5AD5B1AD21.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 142
  • B424C51F-B9CE-405F-BED2-8F62888BED1F.jpeg
    B424C51F-B9CE-405F-BED2-8F62888BED1F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
   / WWII scrap drive #32  
A photo of the WWII scrap metal drive held at the Porter school house during the war years. Several of the students in the picture were cousins of my dad. The school house was sold at auction in the early 60’s when my grandparents bought it and built it into their forever house. It’s been our home for over forty years now but no longer looks like this picture.
I wonder why they took these photos. For the marketing of there scrap drive? Here in the Copper Country, many, many old mine structures came down and cut up for scrap during those years.

/ WWII scrap drive #33  
When I was a kid in the 1950's and 1960's scrap drives were still a popular way for kids organizations to raise money. I guess you couldn't do that today because kids don't want to work that hard and people would be concerned it was too dangerous.
Back then it was school newspaper drives for us. All the neighbors save up for us. Was quite a sight to see just before they were picked up.

/ WWII scrap drive #34  
Notice that old elongated tub? The ones I have seen that survived were made of copper...great recycle material. It's rare to find one even in an antique store any more.

/ WWII scrap drive #35  
Notice that old elongated tub? The ones I have seen that survived were made of copper...great recycle material. It's rare to find one even in an antique store any more.
We have a copper boiler on our porch. Wife and I frequent antique stores on a regular basis. There's usually several in every store we go to. Maybe they bought them all out up by you and sell them around here. :)

/ WWII scrap drive #36  
I wonder why they took these photos. For the marketing of there scrap drive? Here in the Copper Country, many, many old mine structures came down and cut up for scrap during those years.
They took the pictures because they were proud of the kids' efforts. (y)

/ WWII scrap drive #37  
We have a copper boiler on our porch. Wife and I frequent antique stores on a regular basis. There's usually several in every store we go to. Maybe they bought them all out up by you and sell them around here. :)
Well, I'm relying on my empty nest days, about 20 years ago, when antiquing was our avocation. Could have had a lot of estate sales since then!

/ WWII scrap drive #38  
My dad said in the fall of 1941 he bought a very nice 1938 Chevy.. This giving him good transportation through the war years..

Both my dad and moms families sold all there livestock late summer, fall of 1941.. Almost 2 train loads to the Chicago stock yards.. My grandparents leasing pasture, hay land, small grain crop land until after the war when my dad and uncles came back to the home places...

Dad saying grandpa telling about authorities coming out and taking scrap machinery and such, but paying going scrap prices at the time.. They never knew what all was hidden back in the shelter belts and gullies..

Then of course my uncles bought new tractors and equipment with there veteran preffernce.. And they bought tractors from all there buddies that qualified for equipment..

When I was a little kid, my dad sold the Chevy and got a 1946 Dodge...

/ WWII scrap drive #39  
Yep Victory Gardens, Eastern Star making bandages, scrap drives, gas rationing and worse tires simply not available to purchase...

Price Controls and about the only way you could rent a apartment in war production region was furnished which cost more...

I still have an original Gas Ration Book and the window sticker on the windshield of my Model A pickup.

On the back of the sticker it read is this trip necessary and drive 35 mph to save tires...

The little American Bantam 60 survived in high numbers because they advertised 60 mph and 60 mpg... not many economy cars at that time...

I think a lot of Model T survived because 15 million made and a lot of body construction is wood...

/ WWII scrap drive #40  
My mother still has some old WWII ration coupons in her display case. Of course they grew a lot of their food back then. Back in the Depression my grandfather would take the wagon to a resort hotel about 15 miles away and fill it with garbage for the pigs. I grew up using a silver ladle with "Poland Spring House" on the handle.

When scrap was high my father had somebody come in and clean up some of the scrap metal which had accumulated over the last century. It was when Alzheimer's was starting to take over and he let things go that he shouldn't have including bulldozer parts and one of the bottoms for the old Oliver horse drawn plow.
For years there was an old Model A frame down back, along with several body pieces scattered around. As I recall it was in pretty good shape.
After comments made in the "Model A" thread which ran a while back I went down looking for it but it's gone, along with the better body panels. I hope that he didn't let that go for scrap, but have no way of knowing now.