wont crank

/ wont crank #1  

Wcfd1204

Tractor
Mahindra 3510
i have a Mahindra 3510 that would click when you hit the starter but would start in a couple tries.(i assumed it was the starter going out). Well, the starter finely went out. last week i replaced the starter hit the key and it fired up first try. did some work around the yard for about an hour. cut it off loaded up the bucket and tried to start it. "CLICK" WTH... i tried it a couple more times and same thing. i started looking over the tractor and replaced the starter solenoid that was fasted behind the battery. hit key and it started right up so i cut key off and tried again and "CLICK".... cleaned all connections same issue. so now im lost!! the key stopped cutting off the tractor about a year ago so i use the manual cut off. could the key be the issue? or does anyone have any thoughts?

is there more than 1 solenoid that operates the starter??

/ wont crank #2  
@Wcfd1204
I think you are confusing relays and solenoids. The starter solenoid on your machine is located on the starter. Since you have already replaced the starter, I suspect you can rule that out as being the problem.
There is likely a poor connection, or switch somewhere such that there is insufficient voltage on the switch wire that activates the starter solenoid. Start with cleaning all battery connections and the ground(s) to the frame. A small resistance on these cables can result in a no start condition like you describe. If that doesn't get you going, take a voltage measurement on the switch wire to the solenoid. Low voltage there would be a high resistance connection or switch. It could very well be a defective ignition switch, or any of the safety interlock switches that are associated with the starter.

I had similar problems with both of my zero turn diesel mowers. I opted to install a relay at the starter that provides power to the starter solenoid directly from the battery. Whatever voltage losses were causing my problem became a moot point after changing where the starter solenoid got its voltage from.
Google "starter relay fix" or something similar, for an idea on how to wire one up, or I can post a diagram I got here on TBN years ago.

/ wont crank
ok I did some digging yesterday. on the top of the starter there is a small black wire with yellow stripe. i took the wire off and you can jump between that terminal and the main hot wire to starter, it fires right up. it is either a safety switch or the switch.

thanks,

RjCorazza

/ wont crank #4  
Glad you are making progress. If you haven't removed and cleaned the battery terminal and ground connections, this could still be causing your problem. I just went through this on my daughter's boyfriend's car. It was an easy fix.

/ wont crank #5  
I had a lot of starting issues with my 1635. I did everything you’ve done, but finally gave up and brought it back. They replaced parts and fixed it for free. I hope you get it resolved

/ wont crank #6  
There are tons of threads on here about fixing this issue on all of the various brands. Adding the relay is a cheap, effective, and really easy way to fix this. I have done it with pretty much all brands and mahindraa are really known for it. Search this forum, and you will find Mahindra specific details. My tractor is a 3616, neighbor has a 3016,other neighbor has a tc-33d, and all now have the relay installed.

Sent from my SM-A125U using TractorByNet mobile app