Backhoe Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe???

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #1  

KENB

Silver Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 4110, Ford 2N
I was somewhat interested in purchasing the 509 or 511 backhoe for my 4110.
Who here actually has one of these and how well does it work?
Have you had to do any "special" modifications to make it work properly? I am concerned because looking at the specifications for each backhoe, it reads "Optimum performance with 9-12 gpm hydraulic system". What does that really mean? The 3510 and 4110 have an output of 7.8 gpm, so what is the deal? Does it work good with the 3510/4110 tractor as-is??? I was hoping that you could buy the 509, hook it up and it would work good. So, who's got one??

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #2  
I have a 4511. It works awesome providing you get the optional PTO pump and hydraulic tank that goes along with it. If you are going to try running it off the 7.8 GPM tractor pump, it's a no go. The Bradco's need 11 GPM at a minimum. THe optional 14 GPM and 15 gallon tank are configured by Bradco and work like a charm..

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #3  
We sell the 509 on the 4110 fairly often. It is a nice package. While I suppose it is always better to run a PTO pump system for both performance and longevity reasons, people are normally satisfied with the performance of the tractor pump. I think the application in which it is used would dictate the pump type.

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #4  
Dave, what are the longevity reasons? My 509 with tractor pump works very well but a little slower than a PTO pump, but since I never operated a backhoe before this one the speed is not a backward step from a faster system. I am now way faster than hand digging. If you lose H.P. at the PTO does that mean the backhoe running off of the tractor pump has more H.P. the a PTO system?

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #5  
Grub,

In theory, connecting and disconnecting quick-couplers can introduce crud into the system, so that could be an issue. It is easily solved with care though. Also, if you run a backhoe hard for a while, it does heat up the oil. Some would say that running all that hot oil through the tractor is not necessary when you could keep it all contained with a PTO system. I'd be interested in other responses, but I see this as a marginal benefit at best in the longevity category.

As far as performance, more flow means a quicker hoe. They really are quick enough with the tractor pump for most users. I think running one from the tractor pump is a good way to go for most users.

As far as your question on running a pump off the PTO where there is less HP than the engine, that isn't an issue. It doesn't take anywhere near maximum HP to run the PTO pump at full volume.

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #6  
Most of the factory matched PTO pumps that I have looked at actually have to be run at a higher rpm than tractor system does to generate the same GPM. You can run the tractor engine slower when using the tractor hydraulics than with the PTO pump. That is from looking at some of the flow charts for both, but that was a while back and they may have changed it now.

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #7  
I first bought my 4110 w/511 hoe hooked to tractor hydraulics. It was pitiful at best. After talking with the dealer and Mahindra in Texas, I got one of the new PTO w/tank systems installed. The difference is day and night. Calling Bradco and talking to their engineer, they state up front, need minimum of 11 GPM to operate. The 4110 has a 7.8 pump. The 511 would barely move never mind do anything with it. Now, it is just short of a commercial hoe (sans) swing pump. Very powerful, does all I ask of it, and I run the tractor at 1600 rpm. Running the engine at 2600 for full 540 PTO speed does nothing different than make the hoe faster. Fast, I'm not interested in.. Had this system about 15 or so months, and no complaints.. I would never again go with just tractor hydraulics, knowing you need 11 vs the 7.8 output from tractor main pump.

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe???
Well, what we need here is some more folks like Larry that has actually been there, done that. I'd like to hear from someone that actually has a 509 or 511 hoe, running without the optional pump, and see what they personally have to say about it. Larry has tried it, and says it is an absolute no go. Now, something is wrong here. Is it just the 511, or what? Larry wouldn't go to all the trouble of the optional system if the hoe worked good with out it ... and people that buy this hoe without the optional pump WOULD complain if it didn't work. I am working with my dealer to see if he can put me in contact with someone that he has sold a 509 or 511 to without the optional pump, so that I can speak with them personally ... maybe even go see it in action. Until proven otherwise, I'd go with Larry's testimony because he has actually tried the hoe with and without the optional pump.

/ Who here has the 509 or 511 backhoe??? #9  
there was a dealer (Kioti-Mahindra) on here that went by the name of Wallace or Wallace something.. I believe he wrote of installing a couple of 509's.. You may be able to go to find a dealer on Kioti's web site and look for Mount Cobb, Pennsylvania.. I had his stuff saved under the old lamarbur name and didn't think to transfer any of those PM's over to this new name..