Where is OSHA when you need them...

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #31  
I suspect that the OSHA inspectors are like the EPA inspectors; they are box checkers and don't know how, or even want to, deal with something that doesn't quite fit into their little check list.

/ Where is OSHA when you need them...
Guys, OSHA is no different than any other organization with "power". You have good guys who use common sense, and you have bad guys who let the power of their position get to them and they become pricks.

One company I worked had two work related non employee deaths inside two different business locations (long story, but both electricians couldn't get to the lights so they decided to use a forklift and a chair). I'm pretty certain the payout on insurance and premiums after the fact would of made getting the right tool for the job look like peanuts as long as the job was done safely in the first place.

This past January, a guy I knew was killed on the jobsite. A dump truck crushed him. In his 50's, left a wife and two kids. Bad luck if anything given the circumstances he was put in.

If you need to get something done, as long as it's done and no one is hurt, who cares? The issue becomes when someone is hurt and what could of been done to prevent the injury because the company was looking at costs vs the odds of loss of human life put intentially in a "stupid" position while working in the first place?

When I look at the picture I posted per this thread, I wonder why a mini split now and not when the building was built.

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #33  
I remember back in the very early 70s I watched commercials regarding construction safety, intently. I remember the one about how backing a dump truck without flagman was illegal. I don't think I have seen one dump truck being backed up with a flagman in my life, since that time.

/ Where is OSHA when you need them... #34  
Think of it from this perspective...there was a time when there were no protections for a worker. If he got killed or injured, it was up to the employer's good will if he or his family received anything. The worker had "accepted the risk". Workman's comp laws have improved conditions for some industries, and even eliminated some others.