Oil & Fuel Where is my tiller drain?

/ Where is my tiller drain? #1  

Culumbj

Tractor
Yanmar 1820D
So, I see the chain case, with the fill spout.

IMG_8670.JPG

And I see the fill spout for the gear box.

IMG_8671.JPG

But I don't see anywhere to drain. What am I missing?

/ Where is my tiller drain? #2  
Maybe under that bottom wear plate? :confused3:

Looks like a drain plug on the top gear box at the bottom of the flange.

/ Where is my tiller drain? #3  
On RS1400 (a different Yanmar tiller) I tipped the unit and let the oil run overnight from the top gearcase down into the side gear area, while that drained into a pan.

I suspect on yours the lowest bolt is drilled all the way through and serves as the drain.

And - I was promised my tiller had fresh oil in it when I bought it from the VN importer. I drained it anyway and it came out milky, a water/oil mix. Next year I drained it again before using it, same result. I wonder if its older cast iron gearcase creates condensation problems.

/ Where is my tiller drain?
Cali...do you mean some bolt under the wear plate on the chain case? Or some bolt that is visible in the pic?

/ Where is my tiller drain? #5  
I would pull the lowest bolt on the right, rear, side and see if it drains. Then take off that wear plate to see what's under it. It seems reasonable that there would be more bolts and maybe a drain under that plate.

/ Where is my tiller drain? #6  
On RS1400 (a different Yanmar tiller) I tipped the unit and let the oil run overnight from the top gearcase down into the side gear area, while that drained into a pan.

I suspect on yours the lowest bolt is drilled all the way through and serves as the drain.

And - I was promised my tiller had fresh oil in it when I bought it from the VN importer. I drained it anyway and it came out milky, a water/oil mix. Next year I drained it again before using it, same result. I wonder if its older cast iron gearcase creates condensation problems.
Does it not come out milky anymore? Could be a plug or seal isn't sealing right and letting rain in? Or has it always been stored under cover

/ Where is my tiller drain? #7  
I assume the milkyness that I had to change out in the first couple of years showed it was getting over being run submerged. I didn't use it this year, only an hour last year and I don't think I had to top it up then.

Best I can remember I drained a couple ounces of crud the third year before pure fluid. (after settling for 11 months). After that I get a small amount of water each year, when I open the drain for a moment to check it before putting it in use.

It's outdoors all year, that's why I suspect condensation. I don't think there's any place for rainwater to get into it. It looks to be well sealed up.

/ Where is my tiller drain?
Thanks, Cali! It was actually the bolt on the side of the chain case in the pic. Took that one out and fluid comes out. It's strange, though, because that bolt is a good 4-5 inches above the bottom of the case. Is it good enough to drain to that level, or should I tip it and try to drain more?

Couple other questions...

1) Should there be another drain for the transfer case up above?
2) 90W oil ok for both places?
3) I read that running diesel through it under power will clean it out some. Good idea?

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

/ Where is my tiller drain? #9  
Somebody who puts more hours on their tiller should be answering these. A few hours per year is all I need it for, to get into the tight spots around the edge of the orchard where an 8 ft disc can't go. But because I bought the cheapest tiller on the VN importer's lot, I put a little extra attention into checking it and setting it up for use.

Here's a thread on these tillers
you might find useful. My photo there is the RS1400 on my little YM186D. That tiller is intended for a YM2000, a larger Yanmar, but this works ok and is more maneuverable.

I think on mine (RS1400) the upper gearcase will drain into the side gearcase but it would take overnight. I didn't see any way to drain just the upper part.

Can you tip the tiller back to make that bolt become the lowest point?

Yes, ordinary 85w90 gear oil.

Flushing the old oil with diesel and spinning the tiller - no load - shouldn't hurt anything but I'm not convinced it's needed. If you get debris when you drain it or see evidence of water (milky fluid) then it might be a good idea. I wouldn't run it under load with diesel in it.

/ Where is my tiller drain? #10  
Good answer by California.