Oil & Fuel Where do you add power steering fluid?

/ Where do you add power steering fluid? #1  

oldbus

Tractor
Ford 4610
I am a new tractor owner. I have a Ford 4610 and it has a power steering leak. Where do you add the fluid and what kind of fluid do you use? I have read several topics on this and there seems to be several answers, anywhere from power steering fluid to hydraulic fluid or oil. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Where do you add power steering fluid? #2  
You need to figure out how it works. I’ve never had a tractor that had power steering fluid like a car. They usually use the hydraulics. Look around the fan belt and see if you can find a power steering pump.

/ Where do you add power steering fluid? #3  
You’re looking for this..

Attachments

• 44FF9A49-0F90-4425-816D-9A979595F355.jpeg
    44FF9A49-0F90-4425-816D-9A979595F355.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 374
   / Where do you add power steering fluid? #4  
The 4610 is of the series of my 3910 and the manual says use 134D, also goes by J20C (a John Deer spec that usually shows up if any spec shows), the same fluid you put in your tranny and your main hydraulic/differential sump.

Under the cover of the pump, at the rear, one bolt holds it on, is an oring and filter. ebay has them if nobody else does....just troll for Ford 4610 Power Steering Filter. About 9 bucks with free shipping if you get the right seller. Have it in 3-4 days.

Full is even with the bottom of the hole....if you put any more in it would run out. On mine Ineed a pair of pliers to turn the cap the last ⅛" that completes the seal...lot of resistance but deliberately made that way to keep it from falling off and leaking.

Tractor Supply "Premium" Trans/hydraulic fluid in the black 5 gallon pail meets the specs for all your fluid needs except engine oil....read the back of the container.

/ Where do you add power steering fluid?
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Are you (texasmark) saying you think the leak may be stopped with a new o-ring? Thanks.

/ Where do you add power steering fluid? #6  
The stamped steel cover is attached to the casting with an Oring. If you are leaking at that interface, then yes. The bolt holding the cover on could possibly be slightly loose and a tightening could stop it.

Other thing is the cap. If not put on to where it stops turning with your fingers and you go ⅛ turn or thereabouts with a pair of pliers till you feel it dead stop, the cap is probably your leak source. It can run down the side of the pump and appear to be coming from the large Oring

Regardless, for the price and ease of replacement of the filter and the opportunity to drain what fluid is in the pump and refill with fresh, the way to go if you ask me.