What a drag.

/ What a drag. #1  

Scott_F

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
After (if?) we finally get some rain around here, I will have a friend plow and disk my lot, then use the PT to prep it for seeding. I was thinking of making a drag of some sort to pull behind my PT out of a 6 or 7 foot square of scrap chain link fence with a 4x4 on each end. I figured this, coupled with a new PT rake on the front, should get most of the undesirable stuff moved/collected/covered. Any suggestions on this or other (low budget) schemes for smoothing/prepping for grass seed?

-Scott

/ What a drag. #2  
Scott:
I'll be interested to hear how you like your rake.
For a lot of years we have used a chain drag on horse pastures. It is like a heavy chain link mat, with protruding teeth. It is good for spreading horse manure, and scratching the ground, but has surprisingly little bite. The chain mat actually has little weight per square foot, so it won't smooth anything that is very hard or lumpy.
That being said, if the soil is pretty well broken up, the chain link fence should do a nice final smoothing job after you've raked it. Our drag has 2" pipe rather than the 4 x 4, which may be an idea to reduce the plow effect of the front of the drag. In back, it has sash weights spaced across, rather than another straight piece. Someone must have thought that worked better, because they still sell them with that configuration.
I've also heard that an old boxspring is good as a final smoothing drag.
Keep us posted.

/ What a drag. #3  
At the risk of being called a comic again, I suggest renting a tractor with a rototiller for part of the day and run it through after the disking is done. The tiller will give you a very smooth bed for your grass seed.

/ What a drag. #4  
ptrich had a great innovation a while back, inclusive pictures. if you look under power trac and rakes i think you will find it.

here is the name of the thread: Power Trac Grader Rake

good luck

/ What a drag. #5  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac&Number=137882&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Here's a link to that thread </A>

/ What a drag.
Thanks for all the tips (and the link). I remember PTRich's rake and thinking I would like to have one, especially for working the driveway, but it will probably have to wait a while longer. I did get the rake from Power Trac this week, and we did get the much needed rain /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, so hopefully the lot will get worked next week. I'll keep you posted on how the rake does.

Scott