Welding and Parkinsons

/ Welding and Parkinsons #51  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In my short career as a pharmacist I have seen drug trials "progress" from superiority to equvalence to non-inferiority comparisons. The more expensive the drug and larger the market, the lower you set your expectations. )</font>
Since you're rather new to pharmacology you may not remember that when a certain drug hit the market, it was touted as being the safest drug of its kind to ever be produced. Will not be addicitve, works wonders for anxiety etc. Valium turned out to be one of the most addictive drugs that ever hit the market. Doctors had so many housewives hooked on it, it was just amazing.
Studies tend to be like the weather: Give it a few minutes, and it will change. John

/ Welding and Parkinsons #52  
Ahh, Vitaimin V for all your ills. In defense of Valium and Roche Pharmacueticals, at least it was a novel agent. While the drug company lied through their teeth about side effects, it had a unique mechanism of action, was safer than other anxiolytics of the era (e.g. barbituates) and was easier to dose. Today, Big pharma "invents" a drug to treat hypertension/cholesterol/diabetes that is no better (and many times inferior) than an oldie but goodie. Difference is the new one costs $2-3 / day instead of $2-3 / per month.

Fortunately, I had to get up and am now re-reading my post. Kind of is starting to look like a non-tractor rant /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (on my part). I'll sign off this thread and go drool over th Power-trac website

/ Welding and Parkinsons #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Today, Big pharma "invents" a drug to treat hypertension/cholesterol/diabetes that is no better (and many times inferior) than an oldie but goodie. Difference is the new one costs $2-3 / day instead of $2-3 / per month )</font>
Exactly right. What a shame it costs so many people so much when they can't afford it. John