very heavy rain

/ very heavy rain #1  

redman135

Veteran Member
Tractor
Case 105c
Auckland New Zealand. On friday rainfall in auckland went nuts. 6mm or 1/4" per hour is officially considered heavy. Peak rainfall in 1 hour was 73 mm or 3". Entire summer rainfall (Dec, Jan, Feb) averages 230mm or 9" , in 24 hours they got 250mm or 10" so no surprise that drainage systems could not cope.
So far there are only 3 dead and 1 missing. Due to the speed of the flash flooding that is light.
On social media there is a clip shot on a bus going to the Elton John Concert, the water in the bus is up to the bottom of the seats, and when the camera pans forward, it shows water a foot from the TOP of the windscreen, and you can hear people saying "don't stop, don't stop" Hard on the nerves.

/ very heavy rain
This was suposed to be in general, somehow it went to welding. sorry.

/ very heavy rain #4  
Around here we call heavy rain 'hail'. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I hope the damage and injuries are minimal.

/ very heavy rain #5  
Rain like that can cause some serious problems. I hope you all survived it with minimal damage

/ very heavy rain #7  
It looks like we're going to stay on the rainy side of the ice storm that is moving through Missouri.

/ very heavy rain
It is several days later, and things are stil being assessed. There are about 5000 homes and businesses to be assessed. Some near(5 year) new houses have been shifted ,off the foundations.

/ very heavy rain #9  
It is several days later, and things are stil being assessed. There are about 5000 homes and businesses to be assessed. Some near(5 year) new houses have been shifted ,off the foundations.

I don't even have a proper reply to this. Stay safe, you and your family.

/ very heavy rain
Final update, please consider this thread closed.
4 days later there was another day of heavy rain, only a month worth this time. Some flooding but mostly landslides due to sodden ground.
Currently(7days later) there are 209 red stickered houses (demolition job) and about 1700 yellow stickered houses (can't be lived in until repaired.)numbers vary.
The main problem now, is auckland had an on going house crisis, and this only compounds things.

I live an hour south of auckland , so missed all the trouble.