Using the York Rake

/ Using the York Rake #1  

Kubota-monkey

Silver Member
Tractor
L35 with bt900 backoe and box scraper + grader blade
I recently purchased a york rake and i have been using it in my "Dirt Field" to clear out the small rocks and prep for seeding. I have noticed that it takes me a couple of passes to make the field look somewhat descent ie.. Cleaning out the rocks. Should it take this much time to clean out the rocks or is there an easier way to go about this operation?

/ Using the York Rake #2  
I till it first, with the rear panel wide open. This leaves the soil loose and the rocks on top. Use the rake to windrow the rocks. Have been working on training them to jump in the bucket, but no luck so far. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Using the York Rake #3  
WEN is right they move easier with loose soil under the rake. My dad had a way where he hardly had to lift a finger....all seven kids with buckets and the promise of a trip to the soda shop!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Using the York Rake
To till it do you drag the blade in parallel withthe tractor?

/ Using the York Rake #5  
Actually, I take my Long 5 ft tiller (PTO driven)and go over the entire area at approximately 1 MPH with the rear gate of the tiller pulled all the way up, the rocks are left on the surface instead of burried. Rake it and remove the rocks. Let it rain, then do it all over again.

Then rake it again.

After the rocks are gone, I pull a piece of 4 1/2 inch heavy wall pipe 8 ft long behind the tractor to level it. The pipe is perpendicular to the travel of the tractor. I use a piece of chain link fence about 6 ft wide and 10 feet long to drag behind the tractor to cover the seed.

I hope that answers your question.

/ Using the York Rake
Yes thank you very much for explaining it better... Well it looks like I may have to purchase another implement!

/ Using the York Rake #7  
wen - I am using a Landpride rollover box scraper with shanks down first, then flipping it over and using the moldboard to grade for preparing an area for seeding. Sounds like the tiller might work better. Can you tell me manufacturer and model no.?
Thanks,
pete

/ Using the York Rake #8  
Mine is just an inexpensive Long model. It is 5 ft, but the next one will be 6 or 6 1/2 feet. This one is a light duty unit using a chain drive. All of the Woods tillers in the heavy duty versions have slightly longer tines and gear drive. The chain drive has held up nicely. I noticed that Tractor Supply has tillers that seem to be priced reasonably although I have no idea about the quality. Mine cost $1500. The Woods costs considerably more. I wish my tiller was wide enough to cut out the tractor tire tracks which are about 6 1/2 feet, but I can still do most jobs by offsetting the tiller enough to cut out the right tire track.