Buying Advice Used LS P7040?

/ Used LS P7040? #1  

Saucymynx

Tractor
LS MT7 101 Farmall 656 Ford 2610 Farmall 140. JD 670
Hi there,
I am relocating from Southern Tennessee to the upper Peninsula of Michigan in September in the owner of the house that I am purchasing is selling an LS P7040 cps with a loader and an Erskine 925FM snowblower. Currently having a Ford 2610, Farmall 140 and JD 670, this is a big step up for me. I don't know the tractor year or hrs yet, but it looks well-maintained at first glance. It has been used for snowplowing 200+ inches of snow a year of a half-mile driveway and mowing 20 acres of pasture. I clearly need something bigger than my Ford and with a cab to handle the snow, but would probably look in the 60-70 hp range, not 97. If I can by it from the home seller, though, it will be somewhat of a known entity and would save me the shopping/buying/transporting hassle, especially since it is going to start snowing soon!

So, with that, I would appreciate any specific items that I should look for on that tractor (beside hrs, year, rubber, etc), and if there are known issues I should be aware of. Google hasn't said so yet. He wants around 45k, which seems reasonable since the SB itself is 10-12k new.

Any advise would be most welcome

Thanks,
Northern Girl Coming' Home

/ Used LS P7040? #2  
I didn't buy it but I came close before I bought my Branson 8050,
the LS dealer was quite aways from me and I was worried about tire chain clearance,
it seemed like a nice tractor.
That said they have not been a big seller for LS you can find brand new 2018's for under $40,000

/ Used LS P7040?
I didn't buy it but I came close before I bought my Branson 8050,
the LS dealer was quite aways from me and I was worried about tire chain clearance,
it seemed like a nice tractor.
That said they have not been a big seller for LS you can find brand new 2018's for under $40,000

Thanks Lou

/ Used LS P7040? #4  
I wish I knew that particular model tractor....but I don't. However, I'm a believer that a person can tell a lot about a piece of machinery by looking at the condition because that shows how the owner feels about it.

You might ask for some photos & post them. That does seem like a premium price, but I have no problem with premium price for used equipment if the equipment itself supports that. In fact, I'd rather pay a little more and get more.

Another thing that helps is having a friend or the owner start it up and drive it around while making a video. I've bought several tractors by listening to them run on the phone or video.

For premium price you might also ask for copies of part receipts, and a service history. Check to see that it comes with manuals - owners, parts, and service manuals would be nice, but it has to have the owners manual. Same for the SB. Some owners do keep those things on file and those are often the kinds of owners who can justify premium price for used equipment.
rScotty

/ Used LS P7040? #5  
I live in Northern MI and we get 120-140" of snow a year...so less than what you will see in the UP. IMHO the tractor and blower you are looking at are over kill, unless the property gets a lot of drifting snow. Last year was my first year with my 40HP LS and a FarmKing 74" pull blower. The combination did a fine job for my needs (300 yard drive). I bought the tractor and blower new for $35k.

The downside of front mount blowers (for me) is the reduction in ground clearance; so consider if that will impact you uses. Plus they take a lot of room to store when not in use, and I have limited space in the storage building.

My dealer (Sumerix) in Lachine MI sells and services LS tractors into some areas of the UP. He is a very good guy to deal with and sells about 100 tractors a year. You might want to contact him about pricing out a 4155 Cab unit unless you can get a steal on the bigger machine. One good thing about the 4100 series machines is they are very popular and parts will be easier to get. Plus with a new machine, you have a 6 year warranty.

Good luck

/ Used LS P7040?
Update: I passed on the 7040. I just wasn’t jazzed about the front mount blower - having no loader all winter and then having to store the behemoth blower all summer. I went with a new LS MT573 with a 7 ft rear mount Meteor blower. That plus a real nice rhino back blade and a few other goodies came out only 10k more for new, warranty, etc. Now if it would just get here!