Turf to R4

/ Turf to R4 #1  

CaptPat

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1840M
I have turf tires on my B7800 (F: 24x8.5-14, R: 13.6-16) and am thinking of converting to R4 as my current tires are nearing the end of their life. Will shifting to R4s entail new rims as well? If I'm reading the manual correctly for R4 they recommend a 23x8.50-14 for the front and a 12.4-16 for the rear.

/ Turf to R4 #2  
Yes you need new Rims - you can find them used sometimes if you have time wait and look around. If your going to change you might want to look into R14 which is a newer version of the R4 - the R14 take different rims I believe too. Contact a Kubota dealer for fitment to get the right sizes F and R.

/ Turf to R4 #3  
I do like the R-14t tires. They are a cross of the R1, R3, and R4.
r14t.png

/ Turf to R4 #4  
When I bought my tires about 7-8 years ago, they came mounted on silver painted rims. The fronts came rapped together and were delivered by UPS. The rears were separated and came by truck. The driver even helped me roll them off his truck into the back of my pickup. The rest is history. They weren't cheap but I didn't have to try and dismount and mount new rear tires either. I kept the best rear tire for a spare but haven't needed it. The old fronts were urethane loaded and that's about all that was left. The rims and tires were both made in USA.

/ Turf to R4 #5  
The R14’s I bought for my JD4720 fit on the factory R1 rims so I don’t think it’s as cut and dry on if you need new rims or not.

I love the 14’s.

/ Turf to R4 #6  
Yes you need new Rims - you can find them used sometimes if you have time wait and look around. If your going to change you might want to look into R14 which is a newer version of the R4 - the R14 take different rims I believe too. Contact a Kubota dealer for fitment to get the right sizes F and R.
Why would he need new rims? Both style of tires have the same rim diameter.
Myself I would never switch to R-4's as I have found them to be about useless for the ground that I'm on and my uses.
My new little Kioti cam with the R-14's and I look the look and so far the performance of them.

/ Turf to R4 #7  
Whichever way you go, just be sure to have an adequate wallet as tires are quite expensive today and you might want to pre order as well.

Just reshod my open station M with 4 new R1 Titan Radials and it was north of 5500 bucks mounted here at the farm (new tubes and no loading). Trelleborg's were a bit less but I have Titans now so I stuck with them.

Got over 20 years on the original set so I should be good to go for the duration now.

/ Turf to R4 #9  
Check with a Kubota dealer and see if they will get you tires through Whole Goods like I did.

I priced just tires everywhere, and when I got from Kubota Whole Goods it worked out to getting the rims for free.