TU 240f

/ TU 240f #1  

Paul_s

Tractor
JD 4310
I am looking to buy a TU240f with a Front end loader, can anyone tell me about this tractor and what can I expect for strength and longevity? I am going to use a 5ft brush hog with light loader duties. Can I go with a smaller tractor? Thanks.

/ TU 240f #2  
How much land do you have?
Any hills?

That's a 24 PTO hp tractor; about 28 at the engine.

I have a TU1700f with 4wd. It's got more power than I've used.

/ TU 240f
I have 5 acres, no real hills, I heard the TUXXX are not very
heavy duty with a loader?

/ TU 240f #4  
Good rule of thumb is 20hp at the PTO for driven implements over 5'. You need larger PTO gearing to deal with the abuse the 5' will deliver to the tractor. TUxxx are not as rigid as there TUxxxx brothers. They have a perimeter frame that does have some flex. Properly mounted loader though will work fine.

Buck

/ TU 240f #5  
I had a TU240. It was a cool tractor. It was fine for the mowing job I used it for. I now have a TA215. I have attached a picture. It is the best I have had. I wouldn't trade it for any grey I know of.

Attachments

• 397975-TA215.jpg
    397975-TA215.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 355
   / TU 240f #6  
Reed,
Nice looking rig, wish I had a few of those on the lot.
Did the TA's go back to a normal cast frame, enclosed power shafts in the tranny housing or do they still have the steel surround frame with detached trans/rear end and the two drive shafts between?
I like the TUXXX nice looking tractor but like Buck said loaders need to be carefully installed and adequately braced for a strong tractor to loader mounting system. Not a lot of places to bolt to.
Nick

/ TU 240f #7  
This tractor is as solid as a rock. It IS a Massey 1125. I have the manuals for both and the PTO is the only difference. The drive shaft on the TU240 was the reason I got rid of mine. It fit so loose, I couldn't get the vibration out at higher rpm. And a $480 fuel shutoff valve didn't help my opinion. Other than those two small details it was as cool looking tractor as there is. The rubber mounts on the engine and chassis made it feel good to drive too.